BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

They did what was best for us, and they made us whole,

but after all these years, we have to pay our toll.

They who cared for us, and raised us from the seeds,

left behind the message of selfishness and greed.

Not necessarily. It's just hard to look at him in that light, as we have always been taught otherwise. That might be the problem. What's taught in school and truth don't always intersect.

Well it would be hard for me to think of him that way too. That's not what I'm telling you to do.

Edited by txmom2

have something to do with the fact that he did not oppose slavery and had several of his own slaves, all while preaching about the equality of men??

I did not know that!

Abraham Lincoln proclaimed emancipation, but that was legal equality. He wasn't thinking about social equality, because he was racist too. And his Emancipation Proclamation only applied to southern states in rebellion, allowing slavery to continue in the border states.

Robert E. Lee was and is way overrated. Most of the battles he won, he had an overwhelming advantage. Grant got the undeserved name of the "butcher" for killing his own men, when it was really Robert E Lee that brought his own men's body count high. And the biggest, most important battle of his career, he screwed up.

Many presidents have turned their eyes away from the slaughter of Native Americans.

Woodrow Wilson praised Birth of a Nation, which glorified the Klu Klux Klan.

The Klu Klux Klan was decimated when one guy revealed all of it's child-like secret rituals to a children's radio show (which I think I learned about reading one of Malcom Gladwell's fascinating books).

ANYWAY

Maybe the last line is just a reference to Manifest Destiny?

That's a little later though, I think, esp. around Polk.

Washington, in his farewell address, warned against 2 things: getting involved with foreign nations, and partisanship. I don't see how either could be construed as selfish or greedy.

Abraham Lincoln proclaimed emancipation, but that was legal equality. He wasn't thinking about social equality, because he was racist too. And his Emancipation Proclamation only applied to southern states in rebellion, allowing slavery to continue in the border states.

Robert E. Lee was and is way overrated. Most of the battles he won, he had an overwhelming advantage. Grant got the undeserved name of the "butcher" for killing his own men, when it was really Robert E Lee that brought his own men's body count high. And the biggest, most important battle of his career, he screwed up.

Many presidents have turned their eyes away from the slaughter of Native Americans.

Woodrow Wilson praised Birth of a Nation, which glorified the Klu Klux Klan.

The Klu Klux Klan was decimated when one guy revealed all of it's child-like secret rituals to a children's radio show (which I think I learned about reading one of Malcom Gladwell's fascinating books).

ANYWAY

Maybe the last line is just a reference to Manifest Destiny?

That's a little later though, I think, esp. around Polk.

Washington, in his farewell address, warned against 2 things: getting involved with foreign nations, and partisanship. I don't see how either could be construed as selfish or greedy.

Wow! alot of things I didn't know and probably won't remember tomorrow. Any how, what I'm looking for has nothing to do with history. It didn't even happen during his life time. History is my worst subject, so don't guess like that.

Our founders where merchants that did not want to pay the high taxes but they soon taxed their citizens.

The only other thing I can think of....

sort of on the right track...

Edited by txmom2

Declaration of Independence..

the Founding Fathers?!

let's just say the second ones it. you wan't me to tell you the last line (even though that was kind of the whole point of the riddle)?

from post #13 the Founding Fathers....now the explaination....In 1690 colonies began issuing paper money which was based on foreign currencies. In 1775 the US created what was called the continental currency, but that currency failed because it was backed only by the anticipation of tax revenue and because it could be easily counterfeited. In 1785 the dollar was created and became the official currency of the US, but no coins were created until 1793 and no "true" bills were created until 1861. So the first true american currency was created in 1775 puttin it about the same time as they sign the Declaration of Independence

Putting them both together......

Edited by Juskiknback

from post #13 the Founding Fathers....now the explaination....In 1690 colonies began issuing paper money which was based on foreign currencies. In 1775 the US created what was called the continental currency, but that currency failed because it was backed only by the anticipation of tax revenue and because it could be easily counterfeited. In 1785 the dollar was created and became the official currency of the US, but no coins were created until 1793 and no "true" bills were created until 1861. So to answer your question the first true american currency was created in 1775

Putting them both together......

umm...like I said history's not my best subject, on the right track but way simpler.

our ancestors who fought wars and used up resources to build a country and become horribly wealthy (aka - filthy rich).....????

Edited by EDM

our ancestors who fought wars and used up resources to build a country and become horribly wealthy (aka - filthy rich).....????

on the right track but not what I was looking for.

I think I maight actually know

parents

Edited by cjstone314

I thought that the answer was either Founding Fathers or specifically Washington and we just need to tie that to the last line of the riddle. So I'll guess that the connection between the founding fathers and the greed statement is that so many of them are pictured on US currency.

Finally! that's exactly what I was looking for!