BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

21 answers to this question

if you use the Chinese calendar, based on what i've read, 2009 is the year 4706. that would put the longest roman numeral year as 3888 (MMMDCCCLXXXVIII) 15 characters. I wonder what other calendar systems could be longer.

referring to preflop it couldnt refer to the bigger number

imagine i said what number requires the most digits,numbers,bits, etc. they all mean length (or number of digits). For it to have been ambigous it would have had to say which is the largest number in roman numerals or something similar.

Then you could argue largest on the page or largest as what it represents.

HEY IVE COME ACROSS THIS WHICH IS CORRECT MDCCCLXXXVIII OR MDIIILXXXVIII I BELIEVE ITS THE FIRST OR CCC VERSION BUT ICAN SEE WHY SO MANY COME UP W/ THE III VERSION I DID THE SAME UNTIL I WAS TOLD THE "CORRECT" WAY TO EXPRESS ROMAN NUM.

my guess was 1888 and i didn't even know it looked like MDIIILXXXVIII but when your right your right.

"But when your right your right" isn't right, it's wrong. Shouldn't be "your", should've been "you're".

There is a common misconception about Roman Numerals... no number should use more than 3 letters

8 should be IIX not XIII and 800 should be CCM not DCC

so there is no one answer

but i have an answer, just for fun

4.5 billion BC

since M is the larges number in RN's

it would be 4.5 million M's BC

There is a common misconception about Roman Numerals... no number should use more than 3 letters

I am not sure you are correct. I have NEVER heard of "8" being expressed IIX. In fact, I found this set of "rules":

The subtractive principle (a subtrahend preceding a minuend) may apply:

* Only to a numeral (the subtrahend) which is a power of ten (I, X or C).

For example, "VL" is not a valid representation of 45 (XLV is correct).

* Only when the subtrahend preceeds a minuend no more than ten times larger.

For example, "IL" is not a valid representation of 49 (XLIX is correct).

* Only if any numeral preceeding the subtrahend is at least ten times larger.

For example, "VIX" is not a valid representation of 14 (XIV is correct), and "IIX" is not correct for 8 (VIII is correct).

* Only if any numeral following the minuend is smaller than the subtrahend.

For example, "XCL" is not a valid representation of 140 (CXL is correct).

Can you prove your assertion?

if you use the Chinese calendar, based on what i've read, 2009 is the year 4706. that would put the longest roman numeral year as 3888 (MMMDCCCLXXXVIII) 15 characters. I wonder what other calendar systems could be longer.

Israeli calendar is higher. It is the year 5769. you can figure out the numerals though. have fun

Writersblock is correct - it is VIII.

As a math teacher for fifth and sixth grade for my two home-schooled kids, I checked the math book, just to be sure - even though I was certain before... and it definitely is VIII.

Also, the III that should be CCC is incorrectly placed, but for our calendar, 1888 is correct.

so there is no one answer

but i have an answer, just for fun

4.5 billion BC

since M is the larges number in RN's

it would be 4.5 million M's BC

Actually I know what your speaking of but you said it wrong. It's there's no more than three of the same letter in a row. Which is why ten is X and not VIIIII. the highest you can go is 3,999(MMMCMXCIX).

Actually I know what your speaking of but you said it wrong. It's there's no more than three of the same letter in a row. Which is why ten is X and not VIIIII. the highest you can go is 3,999(MMMCMXCIX).

Interesting since a Roman Legion was about 6000 men... how'd they count them all? :blink:

Interesting since a Roman Legion was about 6000 men... how'd they count them all? :blink:

So, there is actually a notation that isn't as well known with Roman Numerals. The Romans would typically write out all of the M's that were needed to do higher order numbers, however, when following the rules that were stated above, and when getting to VERY high numbers they actually had a notation that they used.

1000=M

2000=MM

3000=MMM

Now, you actually put a bar over the numbers, to represent multiplication by 1,000:

4000 is actually written as:

__

IV

So, then 5000:

_

V

5150:

_

VCL

And 100,000:

_

C

and 1,000,000:

_

M

And to go higher than that, you simply put 2 bars over the numbers to represent multiplying by 1,000,000.

1,000,000,000 would then be:

=

M

So, to represent their 6000 men, would be

__

VI or if they weren't being lazy and decided to disregard their own rules: MMMMMM

Hope this helps.