BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

We have all heard the phrase, "What goes up, must come down." I believe this refers to anything within the earth's atmosphere. Now I bet you can think of a few things that go up, but may not ever come down. Can you think of anything that goes up without restriction in the earth's atmosphere, that WILL NEVER come down?

24 answers to this question

Fireworks?? :lol:

:ph34r: Your age?? Hehe.. :rolleyes:

Fireworks fall back to the earth after they explode.

You know the more I think about this, the more answers I can come up with.

Still looking for my original thought though.

There are only 2 gases that will rise in the Earth's atmosphere. Read my first post (#2) if you still dont know ;)

Technically, that is incorrect. The answer I am thinking of is a gas.

Ammonia

Neon

-A quick google search will show 14 gases lighter that air. Unless there is some other criteria, it could be any of those.

I promise that it is not one of those 14 that I am thinking of. What other gas will go up and not come down.

there has to be more to this.

Since "Air" is made up almost entirely of Nitrogen (N2) and Oxygen (about 78% and 20% respectively), then any gas lighter than that will "rise" indefinately.

So if the answer is a gas, then this is a rudimentary general chemistry question and not a riddle/BT in any way.

hot air

I was initially thinking of heat, but I don't know if it ALWAYS rises.

Yes, that is it. Hot air always goes up and does not come down within the Earth's Atmosphere.

actually as hot air rises, it expands because of the lower pressure, thus doing work on its surroundings and cooling itself. By the time it gets up pretty high (I think it loses 10K every kilometer or something), it's cooled down a lot. So by "hot air" you can't mean a specific patch of air that starts out hot, it has to refer to hot air in general (but it's still possible to force hot air downward if you have it trapped, for example in a car engine piston)