BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

bonanova

Question

In Hill County there are two kinds of roads: hilly and level.

The cabs in Andy's Hilltop Taxi fleet travel 72 mph downhill, 63 mph on level roads, and 56 mph going uphill.

It took Andy 4 hours to pick up his fare in Green Valley and 4 hours and 40 minutes to return him to Hilltop.

How far is it between the two cities?

14 answers to this question

It appears that although you could have varying amounts of hilly and flat roads, the total distance would always roughly be the same, which seems to be about 274 miles (if I am correct, it varies between about 274 and 274.3 miles.

If, on the way over, there were 160.3138 miles of downhill road and 0 miles of uphill road, 113.647 miles of flat road. The total mileage would be 273.96 miles.

The other extreme would be on the way over, there are 217.313 miles of downhill road and 57 miles of uphill road, and no flat road. Total mileage would be 274.313 miles.

So I can't settle on 1 definite value, but I'm reasonably certain it's between 274 and 274.3 miles.

Unfortunately, I just figured that out with 1 equation and used trial-and-error with my calculator. There's probably a more elegant way to find the solution.

273 miles

Let x equal the number of miles traveled downhill on the way there.

Let y equal the number of miles traveled on level roads on the way there.

Let z equal the number of miles traveled uphill on the way there.

On the way there we get the equation:

x/72 + y/63 + z/56 = 4

On the way back, the rate of travel over distances x & z is reversed, yielding this equation:

x/56 + y/63 + z/72 = 14/3

By multiplying each of these equations by 504, they can be simplified to the following:

7x + 8y + 9z = 2016

9x + 8y + 7z = 2352

Now add the two equations together, yielding:

16x + 16y + 16z = 4368

Divide by 16:

x + y + z = 273

Unless I'm mistaken, there are infinite possible solutions for the individual values x, y, & z, however the sum of all 3 is all we care about here.

Edited by Ungoliant

Here's another way to look at it, which arrives at the same result I posted above.

For the total trip, lasting 8 hours and 40 minutes, we know that the hilly roads will have to be traveled over twice, once uphill, once downhill. Therefore, it doesn't matter what the ratio of uphill vs downhill is in the one-way trip, we know that there is an equal amount of uphill & downhill travel over the entire round trip.

So what is the average speed of travel over these hilly sections over the round trip? Total distance / total time. If total distance is x, half of which is traveled at 72mph and half at 56mph, average speed equals:

x / (0.5x/72 + 0.5x/56)

With some simple algebra, the x's cancel out and we find the average speed over the hilly regions is 63mph. What a coincidence! That is also the average speed over the level roads. Therefore we can say, regardless of the distribution of uphill, downhill, and level roads, the average speed of the entire round trip will always be 63mph.

Now simply multiply 63mph by 8 hours 40 minutes to arrive at 546 miles for the round trip, or 273 miles one-way.

Edited by Ungoliant

Here's another way to look at it, which arrives at the same result I posted above.

For the total trip, lasting 8 hours and 40 minutes, we know that the hilly roads will have to be traveled over twice, once uphill, once downhill. Therefore, it doesn't matter what the ratio of uphill vs downhill is in the one-way trip, we know that there is an equal amount of uphill & downhill travel over the entire round trip.

So what is the average speed of travel over these hilly sections over the round trip? Total distance / total time. If total distance is x, half of which is traveled at 72mph and half at 56mph, average speed equals:

x / (0.5x/72 + 0.5x/56)

With some simple algebra, the x's cancel out and we find the average speed over the hilly regions is 63mph. What a coincidence! That is also the average speed over the level roads. Therefore we can say, regardless of the distribution of uphill, downhill, and level roads, the average speed of the entire round trip will always be 63mph.

Now simply multiply 63mph by 8 hours 40 minutes to arrive at 546 miles for the round trip, or 273 miles one-way.

Nice. B))

And welcome to the Den.

Some puzzles fall into the category of "Excuse me, but there's not enough information."

Two that come to mind are this one, of course, and "Hole in the Sphere".

Here we're not told what fraction of the journey is on level ground.

In Hole in the Sphere, we're not told the diameter of the hole.

In both cases, the "missing" information itself is the puzzle.

We conclude [1] the answer does not depend on the missing info or [2] the puzzle is flawed.

Either way, we do no harm by imagining the simplest case and solving it.

Here we imagine all the ground is level.

In "Hole" we imagine the diameter is zero.

The answers immediately become clear.