BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Hello all,

I have returned to the den. I have internet at my flat now, so should be able to make regular occurrences here again. To get back into the mindset of the weird and wacky thinking, the way of the den, I am stating back with a game. It is hopefully new to you guys ( not sure what everyone has been up to, though I do notice some post counts have increased a lot). Enjoy.

The Scenario:

One year ago, Robert Killingsworth bought the farm. Six months later he was dead — leaving his widow Elizabeth to tend to their fledging vineyard and winery on the outskirts of California's wine country. With mounting debts and no idea how to run a business, Elizabeth is desperate to sell the farm and recoup her losses. The fierce drought and shaky economy, however have left Killlngsworth Farm on the market for far too long.

One early autumn day, six people passed through the gates of Killingsworth Farm to see Elizabeth...

One of them, a cold—blooded Killer:

Michael Nightshade — This real estate developer from New York arrived unannounced with plans to buy Killingsworth Farm and develop it into a low-cost housing community. His boss ordered him to obtain the Killlngsworth land at any cost...

Dr. Chelsea Barren — After suffering a nervous breakdown, this psychiatrist and near-best-selling author moved to Northern California to relax... but she moved next door to the Killingsworths instead.

Enrique Graves — This young drifter wandered onto Killingsworth Farm last year just as Robert and Elizabeth were moving in. Elizabeth took a liking to Enrique and he has lived on the farm ever since — tending to the fie|ds... among other things.

Vicki D’Adly - Elizabeth’s estranged sister from New Jersey, she and her husband were traveling on vacation when Vicki decided to drop by Killingsworth Farm for a visit... a surprise visit.

Norman D’Adly - A real estate broker from New Jersey and husband to Vicki, Norman is trying to salvage his job and his marriage while travelling across the country on vacation.

Kathryn Lawless — Best friend to Elizabeth, this local librarian and historian has a flare for the eccentric. She lives down the road with her 15 cats and loves true crime - especially the mysterious unsolved death of Robert Killingsworth.

Which of these people has a secret worth killing for? Come to Killingsworth Farm and find out before it is too late?

Signup:

Michael Nightshade -

Dr. Chelsea Barren -

Enrique Graves -

Vicki D’Adly -

Norman D’Adly -

Kathryn Lawless -

Detectives ( maximum of 4 )

These detective roles don't take part in the story, but they can interograte the players involved in the story.

• Answers 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Im going to try and get the next round done now, unless there is a significant amount of information still come out. Its quite late here so not sure if I will get done in time as I have had a long day and need sleep for work.

Ill give it 20minutes max..

Round Five — The Final Clues

The Scenario:

You can hear the wail of distant police sirens. Soon investigators will be swarming Killingsworth Farms and asking questions you may not want to answer. You still have a few minutes, though, and there are a few issues with your fellow guests you want to clear up...

Oh, also to add to the list of questions, I will like to ask Enrique something. While I was in Elizabeth's study, I noticed a candlestick on the fireplace mantle, and to my great surprise, it was identical to the candlestick you have me months ago as a birthday gift! Although, mines however is dented and not in as nice of condition. Would you like to explain that? Were you, by any chance, having an affair with Elizabeth?

*shudders* Sorry for being so nosy, guys :blush: Feel free to kick her if you want :P

Oh, also to add to the list of questions, I will like to ask Enrique something. While I was in Elizabeth's study, I noticed a candlestick on the fireplace mantle, and to my great surprise, it was identical to the candlestick you have me months ago as a birthday gift! Although, mines however is dented and not in as nice of condition. Would you like to explain that? Were you, by any chance, having an affair with Elizabeth?

*shudders* Sorry for being so nosy, guys :blush: Feel free to kick her if you want :P

Thanks ST ;P

As you're pondering over the situation with the other guests, your thoughts are interrupted by a sound in the back of the room, a "nyaaah". You look up just in time to see Impervious stumble a few steps before dropping onto a chair conveniently placed there by a elementary school boy with glasses. Impervious looks like he asleep and his head is bent downwards so that you can't see his lips. Inquiring if he's alright, you take a few steps towards him before he answers in a commanding tone "Yes, I'm fine. I just can't believe it took me this long to solve the case. Please, have a seat."

You obey by sitting down in the nearest chair and all eyes in the room are focused on the detective. He begins:

"Thank you Kathryn, for that information. So Robert's killer was Enrique in the study with the candlestick. He must have lured Robert out by asking to discuss something with him, perhaps his marijuana problem. Maybe Robert threatened to go to the police. He hit Robert on the back of the head with the candlestick. After committing the crime, then he gave the murder weapon to Kathryn to get rid of it and replaced the one in the Killingsworth Estate with a new one so that no one would notice the dent made during the murder.

Then six months later, while he was doing his school project, he discovered the information about there being gold on the Killingsworth Estate. He knew Vicki was the benefactor of Elizabeth's will, and the problems Vicki was having with her husband, who was actually in love with Elizabeth. So he courted Vicki and planned to murder Elizabeth. He was first to the Rose Garden and found the corkscrew and hid it before Vicki got there to meet him. He was probably trying to frame someone else, like Norman, by using the corkscrew. He then cut the lights, knowing that Elizabeth would go to check on them when they went out. He was probably trying to use Vicki to establish an alibi, since she wouldn't be able to see him slip out in the dark. He did slip out, and went to where he knew Elizabeth would be and then snuck up behind her and stabbed her with the corkscrew. Then he rejoined the others as if nothing happened.

Gold makes men do evil things. She was so nice to you, and you murdered her in cold blood."

Edit: Changed the color...why not? ;P

Edited by Yoruichi-san

When you think you have solved the case, send me a PM containing who did the murder? how it was done? and why? Bonus points for solving Robet's murder as well..

When I have PM from all players, and detectives ( by the looks of it, there is only Yoruichi-san), I will post the results, and then we can start with the confessions.

Because with the lack of detectives, I will open guessing up to anyone who wishes to have a go. No need to have registered at the start. Anyone reading this, have a quick look back through the thread and PM me your solution.

Fell free to ask as many more questions as you need to build your case against the potential murders. But by asking lots of specific question you may give other people clues which they haven't noticed, and reduce your chance of been the clostest ( winning the game).

I will wait for all PM's to be in, or until I get sick of waiting ( a few days)..

Good Luck..

@Yoruichi-san, sorry.. this post came a little too late..

Thanks ST ;P

As you're pondering over the situation with the other guests, your thoughts are interrupted by a sound in the back of the room, a "nyaaah". You look up just in time to see Impervious stumble a few steps before dropping onto a chair conveniently placed there by a elementary school boy with glasses. Impervious looks like he asleep and his head is bent downwards so that you can't see his lips. Inquiring if he's alright, you take a few steps towards him before he answers in a commanding tone "Yes, I'm fine. I just can't believe it took me this long to solve the case. Please, have a seat."

You obey by sitting down in the nearest chair and all eyes in the room are focused on the detective. He begins:

"Thank you Kathryn, for that information. So Robert's killer was Enrique in the study with the candlestick. He must have lured Robert out by asking to discuss something with him, perhaps his marijuana problem. Maybe Robert threatened to go to the police. He hit Robert on the back of the head with the candlestick. After committing the crime, then he gave the murder weapon to Kathryn to get rid of it and replaced the one in the Killingsworth Estate with a new one so that no one would notice the dent made during the murder.

Then six months later, while he was doing his school project, he discovered the information about there being gold on the Killingsworth Estate. He knew Vicki was the benefactor of Elizabeth's will, and the problems Vicki was having with her husband, who was actually in love with Elizabeth. So he courted Vicki and planned to murder Elizabeth. He was first to the Rose Garden and found the corkscrew and hid it before Vicki got there to meet him. He was probably trying to frame someone else, like Norman, by using the corkscrew. He then cut the lights, knowing that Elizabeth would go to check on them when they went out. He was probably trying to use Vicki to establish an alibi, since she wouldn't be able to see him slip out in the dark. He did slip out, and went to where he knew Elizabeth would be and then snuck up behind her and stabbed her with the corkscrew. Then he rejoined the others as if nothing happened.

Gold makes men do evil things. She was so nice to you, and you murdered her in cold blood."

Edit: Changed the color...why not? ;P

Huh? Detective Conan's method?

This is what I found, hope it helps to all the detectives:

When I returned to Elizabeth’s body to get a closer look at the corkscrew.

The corkscrew is engraved, "To Elizabeth. I will always love you. Let’s toast to a new life together."

I also found a bottle for prescription sleeping pills on the floor of the hall nearby. The date on the bottle indicated that it was refilled only two days ago. The bottle was empty.

So who could do this?

This is what I found, hope it helps to all the detectives:

When I returned to Elizabeth’s body to get a closer look at the corkscrew.

The corkscrew is engraved, "To Elizabeth. I will always love you. Let’s toast to a new life together."

I also found a bottle for prescription sleeping pills on the floor of the hall nearby. The date on the bottle indicated that it was refilled only two days ago. The bottle was empty.

So who could do this?

So, Elizabeth overdosed and was stabbed by the corkscrew, who was given to her by a secret over. Enrique, did you have any affairs with Elizabeth, or any form of affection?

ooc: I apologize for being so poky, but can you answer the above concerning the candlesticks, Enrique? :)

ooc: haha no just some drak secrets are a bit... um... well you will find out... ;)

The reason you killed Robert? Was it selling drugs? Or gambling debts? Were you stealing money from the farm business after all and Robert found out, so you killed him? Was that why you rifled through the papers, to find the evidence he had against you? Was he on the phone, about to call the police when you hit him with the candlestick?

Thats the corkscrew I gave her but i didnt kill her! I never even got to ask her the question if she still loved me. But Dr. Barren... is it true you have proof about the murder? I over heard your "conversation" with Elizabeth earlier.

Thats the corkscrew I gave her but i didnt kill her! I never even got to ask her the question if she still loved me. But Dr. Barren... is it true you have proof about the murder? I over heard your "conversation" with Elizabeth earlier.

Excuse me? I know nothing about either murder.

OOC: Seriously. Am I being forgetful, or do you know something I don't? :huh:

Excuse me? I know nothing about either murder.

OOC: Seriously. Am I being forgetful, or do you know something I don't? :huh:

The final round I will send you all confession and an order to post in.. please don't post confessions out of order, or give away any details contained until it is your turn/

Fell free to begin discussions between confessions, though you can not change your guess at the murder.

Remember round 6 will start when I have all guesses in ( open to everyone on brainden to guess). So far I haven't received any, though there is no hurry..

Happy hunting.

ooc: I apologize for being so poky, but can you answer the above concerning the candlesticks, Enrique? :)

I do not actually remember giving you a candlestick... but if i did i am sorry i gave you a broken one, i must of been in a rush...

The reason you killed Robert? Was it selling drugs? Or gambling debts? Were you stealing money from the farm business after all and Robert found out, so you killed him? Was that why you rifled through the papers, to find the evidence he had against you? Was he on the phone, about to call the police when you hit him with the candlestick?

woah... nope actaully none of that.. you shall hopefully find out soon B))

ps. i just sent in my accusation :D

EDIT spelling

Edited by clozobozo

Well, seeing as how I think it's the most logical deduction based on the evidence...everyone knowing that isn't going to change that...so...;)

*the mysterious detective that never talked in the entire history stands up and give his opinion:

I think in that kind of history the very logical deduction never is the answer. :D

Cant wait to know the truth!

*the mysterious detective that never talked in the entire history stands up and give his opinion:

I think in that kind of history the very logical deduction never is the answer. :D

You will find out when more people have PM'ed me. I only have 3 so far..

edit: whem??

Edited by taliesin

Detective Conan would disagree...;P

detective_conan-126x300.jpg

So would Sherlock Holmes for that matter...*cough* sherlock.gif

Emoticons_02___Sherlock_Holmes_by_Kopanitsak_C.gif