BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

I created a riddle for m'lady to solve so she could figure out her Christmas gift before she received it. Thought I'd share it with the Den. (I gave her too many hints and she already figured it out) :(

"ye olde holyday, bears fruit for thee

yet not golden rings tis, nor bird in pear tree

a tub-thumping orator divulges where your gift's lain,

yet not a palin, obama, biden or mccain.

tis not at "maison blanche," nor political in deed,

Indubitably, thy gift you did already read."

She's a fan of Alice in Wonderland.

Is this a riddle of WHAT the gift is, or WHERE the gift is?

Is it in the garden? Or in/around rose bushes? Is it a rose bush?

You mentioned on the previous page that translating your riddle is counter productive. So that means you chose your words carefully. Tub-Thump sounds like a heart beat. So in Alice in wonderland, something to do with the Hearts. Tub-thumping orator, Queen of Hearts? She played croquet in the garden. And had large amounts of rose bushes (of the wrong color).

He said before that you don't need to know anything about Alice In Wonderland to solve the riddle, but your answer made sense. I think the whole Alice In Wonderland thing is a HUGE misdirection ploy because she would have not been given that bit of information, it's just a part of who she is. She would have to be able to solve the riddle without being told she likes Alice In Wonderland, which means she might not have even thought about it, which means it's unimportant. I don't know, I'm probably wrong about that, but it just makes sense to me that Alice In Wonderland is a trick to get you thinking the wrong way.

Edited by BeastMaster

Wait, is tub-thump onomatopoeia? Like the sound something makes?! Because if it is I am totally thinking, "Rabbits"!

Bunny....candies...

The Mad Hatter looked like a mayor (orator) in the Disney version of Alice in Wonderland. Did you put her gift in a teapot? Is it a mouse? Or tea? But he didn't tub-thump... The March Hare? He was a rabbit. He tub-thumps. (onomatopoeia) Is it a jelly-filled watch?...

Am I over-thinking this?!

It is not onomatopoeia but you're on the right track!

Did you get her the Chumbawamba CD entitled Tubthumper which has a song on it called Tubthumping?

edit: she would not be very happy with me if i got her that for christmas, lol

He said before that you don't need to know anything about Alice In Wonderland to solve the riddle, but your answer made sense. I think the whole Alice In Wonderland thing is a HUGE misdirection ploy because she would have not been given that bit of information, it's just a part of who she is. She would have to be able to solve the riddle without being told she likes Alice In Wonderland, which means she might not have even thought about it, which means it's unimportant. I don't know, I'm probably wrong about that, but it just makes sense to me that Alice In Wonderland is a trick to get you thinking the wrong way.

On the right track also.

She's really excited about the movie that's coming out in 2010.

Edited by NickyThump

I created a riddle for m'lady to solve so she could figure out her Christmas gift before she received it. Thought I'd share it with the Den. (I gave her too many hints and she already figured it out) :(

"ye olde holyday, bears fruit for thee

yet not golden rings tis, nor bird in pear tree

a tub-thumping orator divulges where your gift's lain,

yet not a palin, obama, biden or mccain.

tis not at "maison blanche," nor political in deed,

Indubitably, thy gift you did already read."

She's a fan of Alice in Wonderland.

I was thinking it was gummy bears until you said the key line was the tub-thumping line. The reason I thought gummy bears was because you say, in the first line, "bears fruit". Although, I guess she wouldn't be super satisfied with gummy bears, and that's not the kind of gift you make a big deal about by creating a riddle for her.

Was it a new cellphone, and maybe the ringtone was an alice in wonderland themed one? therefore she wouldn't find it until you called her?

brilliant but incorrect.

i'll say that the gift is abstract enough that it can't be guessed, you'll need to figure out how to get the answer and then find it.

KnightofNi was on the right track with thinking there was word play involved. for now ignore the alice in wonderland hint; it'll only help confirm you've figured it out at the end.

Again, i can't stress enough how the answer, the gift itself, is somewhere inside the riddle.

hmm... I think I might know how to find the answer. still not quite sure what it is though. almost reminds me of another riddle I read somewhere, but it's in spanish. it goes:

plata no es, oro no es, asi que, que es?

that translates to

it isn't silver, it isn't gold, so what is it?

but "Plata" for silver and "No" for no together make the word "Platano" which is banana. and banana is the answer to the riddle.

so when you say "you have already read the riddle" and have already pointed out the answer is in the line with the tub-thumping orator, I would think maybe the line itself is not to be taken literally, but a combination of sounds or words put together would mean the item.

am I in the right ballpark here?

brilliant but incorrect.

i'll say that the gift is abstract enough that it can't be guessed, you'll need to figure out how to get the answer and then find it.

KnightofNi was on the right track with thinking there was word play involved. for now ignore the alice in wonderland hint; it'll only help confirm you've figured it out at the end.

Again, i can't stress enough how the answer, the gift itself, is somewhere inside the riddle.

so tum tum thumping makes me thing of something outside or being delivered?

Could it be large enough to be outside..a car?

Hi,

Such an wonderful stuff to know. In fact very often I bet with my brother to solve riddle and if he wins I offer hem some gifts and in case he misses I get the same in return. Thanks of sharing such a nice stuff.

CSK

but I keep coming back to a musical instrument like a drum set..Do you and her work ren faire?

nope. not a musical instrument and ren faire has nothing to do with it.

hmm... I think I might know how to find the answer. still not quite sure what it is though. almost reminds me of another riddle I read somewhere, but it's in spanish. it goes:

plata no es, oro no es, asi que, que es?

that translates to

it isn't silver, it isn't gold, so what is it?

but "Plata" for silver and "No" for no together make the word "Platano" which is banana. and banana is the answer to the riddle.

good guess, but your method is incorrect. getting warmer though.

so when you say "you have already read the riddle" and have already pointed out the answer is in the line with the tub-thumping orator, I would think maybe the line itself is not to be taken literally, but a combination of sounds or words put together would mean the item.

am I in the right ballpark here?

YES! :D getting even warmer!

although you sort of can take the line literally

;)

so tum tum thumping makes me thing of something outside or being delivered?

Could it be large enough to be outside..a car?

incorrect. :(

Ummm I think I got it.... :D:D:D:D:D:D

McDonalds in Bed?

i thought for sure you had it :( how did you come up with that? your method might be right, unfortunately your answer is wrong.

well, your girlfriend must have had one hell of a time with this D:

"a tub-thumping orator divulges where your gift's lain"

so, I'm trying to combine sounds now, see what kind of things I can come up with. I thought I would do a sort of mad-gab thing, and just run the whole thing through by how it sounds.

atubthumpingoratordivulgeswhereyourgiftslain

some words in there I found

"eyour" might be that one emo donkey from winnie the pooh D:

"gor" might be something gory?

din't turn up with much

then maybe I thought I would run it backwards, just for the fun of it *shrugs*

nialstfigruoyerehwsegluvidrotarognipmuhtbuta

still nothing turns up.

unless anyone can come up with words in there, I have empty hands here

I might need more hints for this one |:

or...wait, is it a tub?

well, your girlfriend must have had one hell of a time with this D:

"a tub-thumping orator divulges where your gift's lain"

so, I'm trying to combine sounds now, see what kind of things I can come up with. I thought I would do a sort of mad-gab thing, and just run the whole thing through by how it sounds.

atubthumpingoratordivulgeswhereyourgiftslain

some words in there I found

"eyour" might be that one emo donkey from winnie the pooh D:

"gor" might be something gory?

din't turn up with much

then maybe I thought I would run it backwards, just for the fun of it *shrugs*

nialstfigruoyerehwsegluvidrotarognipmuhtbuta

still nothing turns up.

unless anyone can come up with words in there, I have empty hands here

I might need more hints for this one |:

or...wait, is it a tub?

still on the right track ;) keep playing with those words.

"a tub-thumping orator divulges where your gift's lain

could it be "a tub-thumping or-a-tor"?

I don't know where that gets me but it's something.

Speaking of something, maybe the orator has a lisp and 'thumping' is really 'something'.

Maybe... "Atop something or at..."

Speaking of something, maybe the orator has a lisp and 'thumping' is really 'something'.

fascinating. It sure sounds plausible. I'll try working with that....

augh! This puzzle has been bothering me all night D:<

you've got the phrase you want to be looking at; nothing else in the riddle is relevant ;D

there's only so much you'll be able to do with that phrase til you realize it's... an anagram!

you've got the phrase you want to be looking at; nothing else in the riddle is relevant ;D

there's only so much you'll be able to do with that phrase til you realize it's... an anagram!

You got her a burping moth trout.

:rolleyes:

You got her a 'A Rotating Turbo Hump'! hah

Actually, you got her Tim Burton's autograph, which is pretty cool too.

What is it the autograph written on?

You got her a 'A Rotating Turbo Hump'! hah

Actually, you got her Tim Burton's autograph, which is pretty cool too.

What is it the autograph written on?

correct!

the alice in wonderland hint was a reference to the movie he is directing set ti be released in 2010. i got it off e-bay, but it's pretty bad a**.. the picture was taken during filming of the original batman

theflash141 solved the riddle.

"a tub thumping orator" is an anagram for "tim burton autograph." the alice in wonderland hint was a reference to the movie he's directing set to come out in 2010. i could have been more direct and said she's a fan of tim burton (which she is) but then it wouldnt have been much of a riddle ;)

congrats to the flash