BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

This should be the hardest of the 3 so far.

P is 1

G is 2

E is 2

What is C?

:P No peeking! But seriously...

Spoiler for Real Hint:

It involves counting, but what exactly are we counting here?

9 answers to this question

If the number corresponds to how many ways the letter can sound, the C would be 2. This works in that "P" only has one kind of sound, while both "G" and "E" have 2...

G has ga and ja sounds (think garage)

E has eh and ee sounds (think eager)

C has keh and seh sounds (think cancer)

Edited by BeastMaster

If the number corresponds to how many ways the letter can sound, the C would be 2. This works in that "P" only has one kind of sound, while both "G" and "E" have 2...

Well, way to go. I figured this would stump people for a while. Major congratulations.

Well, if that's the case...

either 3 or 4. E can also have "ay" sound (think trebuchet, cliche, touche, fiancee...a lot of French and Spanish words that have made their way into the English language), and in your example of "eager," the second E is silent, if that counts as a sound.

;) The "eh" sound would be like the E in "men." There might even be more sounds for E for which I can't think of an example right now.

Well, if that's the case...

either 3 or 4. E can also have "ay" sound (think trebuchet, cliche, touche, fiancee...a lot of French and Spanish words that have made their way into the English language), and in your example of "eager," the second E is silent, if that counts as a sound.

;) The "eh" sound would be like the E in "men." There might even be more sounds for E for which I can't think of an example right now.

True, but I was going for basic American sounds. Foreign-stolen-into-English words not where I was thinking.

True, but I was going for basic American sounds. Foreign-stolen-into-English words not where I was thinking.

"Basic American sounds." There's a phrase that might give a linguist pause. Not to mention Native Americans.

Every "American sound" that you mentioned is much, much older than America itself, so they're pretty much all "stolen" as you put it. Just something to think about. B))

B))
The lines that would touch the lines on paper like P would be one cause of the one line on top E being two cause the top and bottom. So C would be 2.
WOOSH!!!

That's fairly interesting. I hadn't thought about that.

"Basic American sounds." There's a phrase that might give a linguist pause. Not to mention Native Americans.

Every "American sound" that you mentioned is much, much older than America itself, so they're pretty much all "stolen" as you put it. Just something to think about. B))

When I said that, I meant sounds not used in foreign words that English stole. Although I guess E does make a "ay" sound in some English words, but whatever.