BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Yoruichi-san

Question

One of my favorites, and one that I think is under-appreciated:

KEV ARAM KELM VHJ OJ UMARS RGZXQK KEVH; KEV GPOJ LE TMZ LQYXQWQL QNDE KEVIR EFDJS.

-QNMSMKI JRLUCSLMNJQ, WAGMOI DONKSQ

Bonus points if you can figure out what "algorithm" I used for the added layer...;P

And since I'm in the mood, I'll end it with my newly invented Lelouch smiley (read the Anime Battle Royale topic in Others if you want to know why): -\-/

9 answers to this question

OK, I'm reviving this topic because of Y-San's new one here. If it hadn't been for the hint at the end of this one (and a ton of help from Wikipedia), I never would have been able to get the answer, which doesn't seem to have been posted already...

The quote is:

The evil that men do lives after them; the good is oft interred with their bones

William Shakespeare, Julius Caesar

(spoken by Mark Antony in the play)

The "algorithm" that you used was what threw me off, and I only figured it out when I saw the hint and somehow knew it was "... lend me your ears" (the end of the first line of the same speech the OP quote comes from).

I reverse L/S that answer and found out that you used a substitution like the following:

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

REDOANGYLWBUVITCFHJKMPQSXZ

I had enough presence of mind to notice that it was the colors of ROY G BIV (less indigo) spelled out, without repeating letters, followed by the remaining letters of the alphabet in order.

OK, I'm reviving this topic because of Y-San's new one here. If it hadn't been for the hint at the end of this one (and a ton of help from Wikipedia), I never would have been able to get the answer, which doesn't seem to have been posted already...

The quote is:

The evil that men do lives after them; the good is oft interred with their bones

William Shakespeare, Julius Caesar

(spoken by Mark Antony in the play)

The "algorithm" that you used was what threw me off, and I only figured it out when I saw the hint and somehow knew it was "... lend me your ears" (the end of the first line of the same speech the OP quote comes from).

I reverse L/S that answer and found out that you used a substitution like the following:

REDOANGYLWBUVITCFHJKMPQSXZ
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

I had enough presence of mind to notice that it was the colors of ROY G BIV (less indigo) spelled out, without repeating letters, followed by the remaining letters of the alphabet in order.

Yes! Thank you! :thanks: . Someone else actually PMed me the quote, but they never figured out the second "algorithm". Great job! ;P

Edit: Oh, and there's another puzzle I recently posted with no replies that's kind of related to the quote here... ;)

Edited by Yoruichi-san