used mostly by young boys.

I change in volume but not in size,

by now you should realize,

the answer is G-rated,

and very underestimated.

The answer is just one word,

anything else would be absurd.

(2) Bob's Backyard

Bob has a 10 foot long pole in his backyward with each side weighted down. One strong adult can only lift one side of the pole, so two are needed to move the pole without dragging it in the grass (which is what one man would have to do). And Bob is very meticulous about his grass. No dragging on the grass! The pole is currently perpindicular to Bob's house, with the closer end 50 feet away from his grill in a straight perpindicular line, and the farther end 60 feet away from the grill in a straight line. It's all grass in between- Bob's precious grass.

Bob's family is out of town so he gets his neighbor Randy to come over. They pick up the pole, and Bob sees that the heavy weights push down and stifle the small patches of grass that they were resting on (1 square foot per pole end)- Bob is furious! He wants the pole to touch the ground as least as possible and only in that straight line to the grill so that it's easy to super-water that line of grass the next day. When one side of the pole reaches the grill Bob and Randy can swivel it and drop it in the gravel behind the grill.

They start with Bob picking up the closer end (50 feet from the grill) and Randy picking up the farther end (60 feet from the grill). They walk 10 feet closer, so that Bob is 40 ft away and Randy is standing where Bob just was. That's when Randy gets an important phone call, drops his side of the pole, and dashes away. Bob is mad, until he realizes that he can the pole to nongrass with the pole ends stifling a grand total of only 6 square feet, all by himself! How does he do it?

(3) The Race

A man in a faraway country is running a race. The race track is a straight line lined with flags- the man starts at the first flag and must reach the 20th flag in 20 seconds to win. However, the man is on an experimental drug- either it failed and he gets tired at a constant rate, OR the drug succeeded, and the man runs at a constant speed the whole race (it is not known whether the drug failed or succeeded). His goal is to get to the 5th flag in 4 seconds, the 10th flag in 8, the 15th in 12, and then finish the race in 16 seconds.

The man runs the race, and gets to the 5th flag in 4 seconds, as planned. However, it takes the man 9 seconds instead of 8 to reach the 10th flag!!! Uh-oh! Does the man win the race? And did the drug work?

10 answers to this question

awnser to # 3

yes the drug worked and he did win.

he starts at the first flag so he only has to go 4 flags to get to flag 5, but 5 flags to get to flag 10. he is running 1 fps( flag per second. therefore. he will finish in 19 seconds

Edited by Mekal

Presumably, he pivots the pole around a point every 10 ft from the grill:

Placing his end down on the floor (40ft), he picks up the other end and places it in line with the wall (30ft).

He repeats, stifling 1 sqft at 30ft, 20ft and 10ft from the grill. Including the 60ft and 50ft marks he started with, he has stifled a total of 6 sq ft.

But does he do more damage by twisting and tearing the grass it sits on?!

edit: mis-typing correction

Edited by foolonthehill

THREE RIDDLES, INVENTED BY UNREALITY

(1) Just One Word

I come with dirty thoughts,

Use me and lose lots

of the substance in my name,

No two are the same.

There are lots of fun toys,

used mostly by young boys.

I change in volume but not in size,

the answer is G-rated,

and very underestimated.

anything else would be absurd.

kleenex

#2 is correct- and yes it tears (ie, hurts the grass), only 6 sq ft of stifling/hurt ;D

Mekal's #3 is correct

Nix by #3 probably meant #1, and Nix got the same as crazypainter, but both Nix and CP are wrong, so is cryptic chick

puzzlegirl: right one ;D

answer to #1:

sandbox

explanations in bold, original riddle in normal text:

I come with dirty thoughts, Sand!

Use me and lose lots

of the substance in my name, Sand!

No two are the same. needs no explaining

There are lots of fun toys,

used mostly by young boys. Trucks, shovels, etc

I change in volume but not in size, sand gets dumped out or in, but confines of the sandbox don't change

the answer is G-rated,

and very underestimated.

anything else would be absurd. That word is sandbox!!!

the answers!

(1) Just One Word

sandbox

(2) Bob's Backyard

swivel it- Randy dropped it on a space already stifled, so 10/20/30/40/50/60 feet out get stifled/scrunched/whatever for a total of only 6 sq ft before the pole is safely placed on the gravel. This was an easy one

(3) The Race

the runner started at the first flag, so the 20th flag is actually the 19th flag he has to reach. The 5th flag in 4 seconds is one flag-per-second (fps), and the 10th flag in 9 seconds instead of 8 is actually a constant rate still, cuz that's 1 fps still, since the 10th flag is actually the 9th flag. So the runner runs a constant 1 fps rate (the drug worked) and thus reaches the final flag in 19 seconds to win the race with one second to spare. Woot!

:P
Edited by unreality