BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

i was reding he two towers when i thought of this puzzle:

sam and frodo are trying to climb down a ledge with a rope. they both must use the rope as their are place where the cliff is sheer and they must use the rope. The rope is just long enough to get down. Finaly they must not leave the rope tied to the stump where they anchored it as Golem is folowing them. How did they do it?

13 answers to this question

Had to make an account to answer this one.

The answer of course is that it is a magic rope. You just pull on it after climbing down and it will untie itself for you.

I think this could be an answer:

They could split the rope in two (assuming its a braided rope) and instead of tying the rope to the stump, just wrap it around, and have both guys climb down at the same time. Then, when they are done, just pull the rope down, and your free.

i was reding he two towers when i thought of this puzzle:

sam and frodo are trying to climb down a ledge with a rope. they both must use the rope as their are place where the cliff is sheer and they must use the rope. The rope is just long enough to get down. Finaly they must not leave the rope tied to the stump where they anchored it as Golem is folowing them. How did they do it?

No knots used, just hinge the rope from the center of it to anything and then when you get down pull one end of it and it will come off

:P

Instead of tying the rope they can simply let the rope go round the stump such that centre of the rope remain at the stump and both ends of the rope hang in the cliff. Then each of them using different sides of the hanging rope simultaneously climb down half way. There they stand on some place, pull the rope down and do the same trick to get down the next half.

Just so everyone knows, it is spelled Gollum, not Golem or Galum or anything else. Just FYI. :P

I didn't know this was a spelling bee. I thought we were supposed to be comnig up with answers to the riddle.

OrderChaos had the general idea already. Since it's an Elf rope, it has magical properties. They had tied it to the rock and lowered themselves down. Once he was ready to abandon the rope, it fell down into his hands.

OrderChaos had the general idea already. Since it's an Elf rope, it has magical properties. They had tied it to the rock and lowered themselves down. Once he was ready to abandon the rope, it fell down into his hands.

sam comanded the rope to fall after they had both climbed down