BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Here' my first attempt at a rhyming riddle. I hope it's not too abstract.

My cousin is found in a line,

While I'm more tightly spaced.

His function is the same as mine,

But you'll find him more commonly placed.

Especially when you're on the move,

You'll find that I'm not present.

However, when I'm there I'll prove,

to be something you won't resent.

I have my uses--more than one,

But if you must please lock me.

In fact, you'll find under the sun,

I'm rarely, if ever, set free.

I am the place where math comes home,

When defined just by my name.

I wasn't found in Ancient Rome,

I'm much more recent in my fame.

Add my parts and you'll find,

My name is digitally signed.

What am I?

Use spoilers, if you please (and if you don't please. :P )

9 answers to this question

Is the cousing an ATM and the object you're talking about is a bank account?!

That's actually a pretty good answer, but unless you can convince me, I don't think that your answer fits with the beginning of the first and fourth stanzas. Very good guess though! :D

Alright. The first stanza says "My cousin is found in a line,

While I'm more tightly spaced" ATM machines are found in groups or rows so that people can access one and will take less time. Banks are tightly spaced because they have a lot of security and occupy small areas so that it will be easier to catch robberies. Where I live, the banks are crammed. And the fourth stanza: 'Add my parts and you'll find,

My name is digitally signed.'

Bank account information is encrypted, so it is in 0s and 1s(comp. language) and this is associated with digitally. All the parts of a bank account are digital, and are stored on supercomputers(normal computers can't handle that many accounts);) Does that support my answer?

Edited by SillouhetteMind

number keypad on a keyboard?

Yes. That's exactly what I had in mind. Good job firebirdaz! B))

Alright. The first stanza says "My cousin is found in a line,

While I'm more tightly spaced" ATM machines are found in groups or rows so that people can access one and will take less time. Banks are tightly spaced because they have a lot of security and occupy small areas so that it will be easier to catch robberies. Where I live, the banks are crammed. And the fourth stanza: 'Add my parts and you'll find,

My name is digitally signed.'

Bank account information is encrypted, so it is in 0s and 1s(comp. language) and this is associated with digitally. All the parts of a bank account are digital, and are stored on supercomputers(normal computers can't handle that many accounts);) Does that support my answer?

I can agree with your statement about the first stanza, but my tiff was with the line I am the place where math comes home, in the fourth stanza (count them. :P ) Other than that, I have to agree it's a very good answer that I hadn't thought of. :D

Alright, the phrase 'where math comes home' can be supported by the amount of math required to manage a bank account. Compound interest, amount deposited and withdrawn, bank pin and id numbers, etc. There is in fact a lot of math in a bank account; math is basically what allows a bank account to function. I have supported my answer now.