BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

You really can't see me but you know that I'm there.

I'm nearly weightless, but I'm always too heavy if you try to hold me up.

I'm your gaurdian, protecting everything as far as the eye can see.

You can't sleep without me, I'm like a security blanket that covers and protects you.

You can live without me, but I would object.

What am I?

14 answers to this question

Gravity...

You really can't see it.

I'm nearly weightless, but I'm always too heavy if you try to hold me up.(You can jump, and it has no "weight" but it's too 'heavy' to lift anything/move anything)

I'm your gaurdian, protecting everything as far as the eye can see. (Keeping everything on earth)

You can't sleep without me, I'm like a security blanket that covers and protects you. (Aside of that alamr clock over your headboard that clocks you in your sleep, it keeps you from floating around bumping into other things)

You can live without me, but I would object. (W/o gravity, your bones and muscles have serious problems)

So what do you guys/gals think?

I was thinking...

darkness

You really can't see me but you know that I'm there.

you can't see true "darkness", because darkness is the absence of light returning to your eyes... but we know it's there

I'm nearly weightless, but I'm always too heavy if you try to hold me up.

this quote is what makes me think it's actually "eyelid", lol. But maybe the OP means 'dark matter'...? :P

I'm your gaurdian, protecting everything as far as the eye can see.

without dark matter, the universe wouldn't be held together

You can't sleep without me, I'm like a security blanket that covers and protects you.

you can't sleep without darkness

You can live without me, but I would object.

What am I?

You're dark matter!

lol jk- I think it's actually eyelid :P

Edited by unreality

I was thinking...

darkness

you can't see true "darkness", because darkness is the absence of light returning to your eyes... but we know it's there

this quote is what makes me think it's actually "eyelid", lol. But maybe the OP means 'dark matter'...? :P

without dark matter, the universe wouldn't be held together

you can't sleep without darkness

You're dark matter!

lol jk- I think it's actually eyelid :P

You get an A for effort. If I werent' an eyelid, I would certainly be dark matter.

"I'm nearly weightless, but I'm always too heavy if you try to hold me up."

How is an eyelid always to heavy for you to hold up? I know when you are tired it is too heavy for you to hold up, but could you expand a little on this line?

How is an eyelid always to heavy for you to hold up? I know when you are tired it is too heavy for you to hold up, but could you expand a little on this line?

I understand your point, but think about it. While you are reading this right know, do you have to "try" to hold your eyelids up. The idea is that the only time you have to "try to hold [your eyelids] up" is when you are tired.

That aside, I also think that you should reconsider what you think a riddle should be. It is not supposed to be an exact and accurate description of something, but a play on words intended to test one's intellect and creativity and to incite a different way of thinking about or looking at something. Many riddles don't even follow general rules of grammer and or intentionally misuse words or description altogether.

So if your looking for puzzles that don't allow for more than one interpretation of words and phrases, then I think that you should stay away from word puzzles and stick with number and geometric puzzles, logic puzzles, and others of that type.

Longlivegondwana is right, and also if you've read a lot of riddles, you'll find out that the clues are a little ambiguous so you have to think deeply and use critical thinking. Eyelids are too heavy to hold up all the time. I mean, try holding your eyelids up for the rest of your life. Sooner or later you will have to drop them. Think about it. ;)