BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

I'm leaving tonight for a week vacation in Mexico away from computers, so I thought I'd post a nice little cryptogram for y'all to work on while I'm away.

(BTW, mexico has nothing to do with the puzzle except for that is where I am going)

Key sequence:

1 5 13 25 41 61 …

Puzzle:

uucbd udnua xavgu onquq

Good Luck! :rolleyes:

15 answers to this question

I'm leaving tonight for a week vacation in Mexico away from computers, so I thought I'd post a nice little cryptogram for y'all to work on while I'm away.

(BTW, mexico has nothing to do with the puzzle except for that is where I am going)

Key sequence:

1 5 13 25 41 61 …

Puzzle:

uucbd udnua xavgu onquq

Good Luck! :rolleyes:

Thanks!

I have no chance of solving this, but -

have a great trip, and don't drink the water! B))

Wow. This one sure died. Was it too hard? Maybe it needed some hints.

Here's the key:

The number sequence starts with 1 and then adds the square of sequential whole numbers. For example:

1+2^2 = 5

2^2+3^2 = 13

3^2+4^2= 25

etc.

This list is then put to the alphabet:

A=1

B=5

C=13

D=25

etc.

Now, you make those numbers Mod 26, or continually add them to the alphabet.

E= 41, or 15 (mod 26).

F= 61, or 9 (mod 26).

U= 841, or 9 (mod 26).

Now you have the number of letters that you need to subtract from the code to make it make sense.

Try it.

BTW, Mexico was AMAZING. My first time to see the Mayan Ruins. Chitzen Itza was just awe inspiring.

My 4 year old nephew really got a kick out of the fact that they serve "cheeze pizza at Chitzen Itza" (one of the snack bars).

BTW, Mexico was AMAZING. My first time to see the Mayan Ruins. Chitzen Itza was just awe inspiring.

My 4 year old nephew really got a kick out of the fact that they serve "cheeze pizza at Chitzen Itza" (one of the snack bars).

Did you see the Quetzalcoatl/Kukulkán to the Maya

Am soooo Envious, I believe you cant climb the pyramids anymore - is that true! Are you allowed to see the tomb of Pacal/Palenque lid? Aw! can I come next tome? Can I? Can I? pls uncle WB, Can I?

Edited by Lost in space

We were on a limited time schedule so we only went to Chitzen Itza and Coba. At Chitzen Itza you can't climb anything, but you can wander around and through the great ball court and check out the holy Cenote (access to the underground river). It's still amazing to stand there at the base of Kulkulkan's temple and feel the "essence" of the place. It gave me chills. The glyphs on the ball court are amazing, showing the removal of the head for the "ball" and the point of the game - getting the head through the hole. In comparison with the ball court at Coba, the Chitzen Itza ball court is a "pro" version. If you can find pictures of the two you'll see what I mean. We went to Coba because that is the only ruin near where we were (south of Playa Del Carmen) where you CAN climb the temple. It's a pretty decent walk back into the jungle to get to it, but it's worth it. The temple at Coba is the highest point in the northern Yucatan, so you can see forever from the top. While we were up there, a tropical storm hit and torrential rains and lightning started up out of nowhere. It felt like the Gods were raging for daring to climb their temple. It was the best!

Wow. This one sure died. Was it too hard? Maybe it needed some hints.

Here's the key:

The number sequence starts with 1 and then adds the square of sequential whole numbers. For example:

1+2^2 = 5

2^2+3^2 = 13

3^2+4^2= 25

etc.

This list is then put to the alphabet:

A=1

B=5

C=13

D=25

etc.

Now, you make those numbers Mod 26, or continually add them to the alphabet.

E= 41, or 15 (mod 26).

F= 61, or 9 (mod 26).

U= 841, or 9 (mod 26).

Now you have the number of letters that you need to subtract from the code to make it make sense.

Try it.

Hmm. I thought I had tried that one, so I tried it again. I get: tppco lwefb kvufp boblj.

Something your nephew said maybe?? :D

D.

Sorry, in my solution I said "subtract from" when I meant "add to".

ok, key is:

5 = 1*1+2*2

13 = 2*2+3*3

25 = 3*3+4*4

41 = 4*4 + 5*5

61 = etc.

Now match that to the alphabet.

1=A

5=B

13=C

25=D

etc

z=1301

Now ADD that number of letters to the original letter. If you change the number to Mod 26, it makes it easier.

A=A+1=B

B=B+5=F

X=X+1105=X+13 (mod26) = K

Y=Y+1201=Y+5 (mod 26) = D

Z=Z+1301=Z+1 (mod26)=A

Now use the "new" alphabet to uncode the code.

**Note that some of the coded letters will be the same for uncoded letters, so you must "figure out" the best fit.

Sorry, in my solution I said "subtract from" when I meant "add to".

ok, key is:

5 = 1*1+2*2

13 = 2*2+3*3

25 = 3*3+4*4

41 = 4*4 + 5*5

61 = etc.

Now match that to the alphabet.

1=A

5=B

13=C

25=D

etc

z=1301

Now ADD that number of letters to the original letter. If you change the number to Mod 26, it makes it easier.

A=A+1=B

B=B+5=F

X=X+1105=X+13 (mod26) = K

Y=Y+1201=Y+5 (mod 26) = D

Z=Z+1301=Z+1 (mod26)=A

Now use the "new" alphabet to uncode the code.

**Note that some of the coded letters will be the same for uncoded letters, so you must "figure out" the best fit.

Sorry. I'm still not getting it. Nothing maps to "u."

We were on a limited time schedule so we only went to Chitzen Itza and Coba. At Chitzen Itza you can't climb anything, but you can wander around and through the great ball court and check out the holy Cenote (access to the underground river). It's still amazing to stand there at the base of Kulkulkan's temple and feel the "essence" of the place. It gave me chills. The glyphs on the ball court are amazing, showing the removal of the head for the "ball" and the point of the game - getting the head through the hole. In comparison with the ball court at Coba, the Chitzen Itza ball court is a "pro" version. If you can find pictures of the two you'll see what I mean. We went to Coba because that is the only ruin near where we were (south of Playa Del Carmen) where you CAN climb the temple. It's a pretty decent walk back into the jungle to get to it, but it's worth it. The temple at Coba is the highest point in the northern Yucatan, so you can see forever from the top. While we were up there, a tropical storm hit and torrential rains and lightning started up out of nowhere. It felt like the Gods were raging for daring to climb their temple. It was the best!

got to be hard to top that! Awesome - thanks

If you go to uk visit Old Sarum, Stonehenge, Avebury stone circle and Aqua Sulis - will be great weekend

Sorry if that's a little side thread guys! useful info though

Sorry. I'm still not getting it. Nothing maps to "u."

D'OH! :huh:

My bad. I mistyped two of the letters when I transposed and messed it up. No wonder it was so hard. :lol:

Try this:

ttcbb tdnta xavgt onqtq

That *should* be the right code.

(good thing I don't do this for a living, eh?) B))