BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Find the next number in the pattern.

Easy

17, 18, 20, 23, 28, 35, ?

Medium

0, 1, 8, 38, 403, ?

Hard (let's see how long it will take you...)

-4, -3.875, 11,875, 103, 2056.125, 16762.25, ?

If you find that you can't arrive at an answer: 1. Your not good enough at math. :P or 2. I made a mistake in my math or there is some sort of typo.

Good luck!

For the easy... 44?

And no idea for the others. Only brute forcing it here. >_>

sorry that is incorrect. :( and i should of made this clear before but explain how you arrived at your answer.

due to a wrong answer for the first, try. I guess 36 is next as you are starting over again by eliminating 0 as from 17, 18 in the beginning???

No. -_-

Prime numbers.

Find the next number in the pattern.

Easy

17, 18, 20, 23, 28, 35, ?

Medium

0, 1, 8, 38, 403, ?

Hard (let's see how long it will take you...)

-4, -3.875, 11,875, 103, 2056.125, 16762.25, ?

If you find that you can't arrive at an answer: 1. Your not good enough at math. :P or 2. I made a mistake in my math or there is some sort of typo.

Good luck!

For Easy - Assuming that 17 is simply an arbitrary starting place, the next number in the series is 46.

Beginning with 17, add the successive prime numbers to the preceding term, beginning with 1. Thus, the numbers added to the preceding terms are 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 11.

For Medium, I think I understand where the numbers shown come from (see next spoiler), but I'm not sure what comes next.

Number of days in a day (1) plus number of days in a week, plus number of days in a month (31?) plus number of days in a year. But what's the next "bundle"?

Haven't tried Hard yet. Bedtime now.

For Easy - Assuming that 17 is simply an arbitrary starting place, the next number in the series is 46.

For Medium, I think I understand where the numbers shown come from (see next spoiler), but I'm not sure what comes next.

Number of days in a day (1) plus number of days in a week, plus number of days in a month (31?) plus number of days in a year. But what's the next "bundle"?

Haven't tried Hard yet. Bedtime now.

Beginning with 17, add the successive prime numbers to the preceding term, beginning with 1. Thus, the numbers added to the preceding terms are 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 11.

Good. You have solved easy and your very close on medium. B))

I g2g too, cya tomorrow.

Easy: Assuming 17 is a random starting point, I get 46.

Medium: 4058? Days in a day, then days in a week, then days in a month, then days in a year, then days in a decade (giving it two leap years...).

I'm not going to try Hard tonight...

Edited by Protoguy

I am assuming that the third number in the 'hard' sequence is eleven point eight seven five, and not eleven thousand eight hundred seventy five. Am i assuming wrong?

Is the next number 238207.375?

If it is then the formula is a[n]=a[n-1] + (5^3)*('next prime number' ^ 6) * 0.001. If this is correct, your third number doesn't match, it should be 4.125, and the rest of the sequence should be adjusted.

Edited by Octa

Nice one octa! You beat me to the punch. :)

I believe octa is right, and the third number is incorrect.

I got 238207.375 as the next number in the stated sequence and 4.125 as the correct third number as well.

However, i have a different formula, a little more elegant, i believe:

X[n] = X[n-1] + (P[n]^6)/8

;where P[n] are the prime numbers including 1.

Good. You have solved easy and your very close on medium. B))

I g2g too, cya tomorrow.

For Easy: Actually in modern mathematics, the number 1 is not considered prime, otherwise the fundamental theorem of arithmetic would not be true. This theorem affirms that every natural number greater than 1 can be written as a unique product of prime numbers (not considering the order).

ok, i know your adding days in the year to the series. starting with 1 day, then 7 days(week), then 30(month), then 365(year).... but what comes next? is it a leap year(366) or a century(aprox 36500) or a decade(aprox 3650)

A decade (with two leap years)

Incorrect :(

I am assuming that the third number in the 'hard' sequence is eleven point eight seven five, and not eleven thousand eight hundred seventy five. Am i assuming wrong?

right. it is 11.875

Is the next number 238207.375?

If it is then the formula is a[n]=a[n-1] + (5^3)*('next prime number' ^ 6) * 0.001. If this is correct, your third number doesn't match, it should be 4.125, and the rest of the sequence should be adjusted.

You have the right number, but... the third number in the pattern is correct. Your not using the formula I want.

Nice one octa! You beat me to the punch. :)

I believe octa is right, and the third number is incorrect.

I got 238207.375 as the next number in the stated sequence and 4.125 as the correct third number as well.

However, i have a different formula, a little more elegant, i believe:

X[n] = X[n-1] + (P[n]^6)/8

;where P[n] are the prime numbers including 1.

Same as above.

For Easy: Actually in modern mathematics, the number 1 is not considered prime, otherwise the fundamental theorem of arithmetic would not be true. This theorem affirms that every natural number greater than 1 can be written as a unique product of prime numbers (not considering the order).

I dont care. <_<

easy is simply the primes, so 46, 59, 76, etc.

medium is days in a day, week, month year, and i'm guessing its decade so with two leap years the next term is 4055

still working on hard....

you start at -4. you get to -3 because you add 1. 4x2 = 8 so -3.8 and 3 quarters are 75 cents and then you have a grand total of 3.875! 4 + 3 = 11 and then I guess you make the decimal (.) a comma?(,) I hope I'm on the right track, but prolly not x_x

Edited by Chippy

you start at -4. you get to -3 because you add 1. 4x2 = 8 so -3.8 and 3 quarters are 75 cents and then you have a grand total of 3.875! 4 + 3 = 11 and then I guess you make the decimal (.) a comma?(,) I hope I'm on the right track, but prolly not x_x

Yeah sorry but, not even close. :mellow: