BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Brandonb

Question

Again, same rules - the answers are two words that not only rhyme, but they are the exact same spelling except for the first letter.

1. Withheld balance -

2. Tooth on a rope -

3. Less refuse -

4. Increase discomfort -

5. Reliable attraction -

6. Not sloped, nor horizontal -

7. Red brandy-wine -

8. Bush on a shelf -

9. He who steals a book -

10. Salty beverage -

11. Mallard in the rain -

12. Spice decree -

13. Rolling quake -

14. Tool used on the Eiffel tower -

15. Weak color -

...Also I feel as if you are staring at me while I am trying to solve your puzzle.... thats pressure man! :P

That's because I am! :P

-OK! Current Standings-

1. Withheld balance - Kept Debt (jdmensa)

2. Tooth on a rope - Hang Fang (octopuppy)

3. Less refuse - Fewer Sewer (jdmensa)

4. Increase discomfort - Gain Pain (octopuppy) / More Sore (jdmensa)

5. Reliable attraction - Sure Lure (Nikyma)

6. Not sloped, nor horizontal -

7. Red brandy-wine - Cherry Sherry (ktwordplayer)

8. Bush on a shelf - Ledge Hedge (1kellygirl)

9. He who steals a book/magazine - Paper Caper (aerdramaqueen)

10. Salty beverage - Sea Tea (Nikyma)

11. Mallard in the rain - Duck Muck (ktwordplayer)

12. Spice decree - Sage Wage (Melis)

13. Rolling quake - Tumble Rumble (octopuppy)

14. Tool used on the Eiffel tower - French Wrench (octopuppy)

15. Weak color - Faint Paint (Nikyma)

Not quite what I was looking for on #11, but it seems to fit just as well if not better. I'll rephrase mine for RT#4!

Also, it was brought to my attention that wage has an obsolete def. meaning "pledge" so #12 works well with Sage Wage, though I believe there is another answer that can work just as well... or should I rephrase it in RT#4 also?

Alright!!! 1 remaining!

one word means "Not sloped", the other means "not horizontal." Think along the lines of the riddle... "two coins make 30 cents, one is not a nickel."

;)

wow, there were over 2000 hits in under 24hrs... I guess I'll have to make another one!

Edited by Brandonb

Wow, that last missing clue took all of 1minute! lol

1. Withheld balance - Kept Debt (jdmensa)

2. Tooth on a rope - Hang Fang (octopuppy)

3. Less refuse - Fewer Sewer (jdmensa)

4. Increase discomfort - Gain Pain (octopuppy) / More Sore (jdmensa)

5. Reliable attraction - Sure Lure (Nikyma)

6. Not sloped, nor horizontal - Level Bevel (Nikyma)

7. Red brandy-wine - Cherry Sherry (ktwordplayer)

8. Bush on a shelf - Ledge Hedge (1kellygirl)

9. He who steals a book/magazine - Paper Caper (aerdramaqueen)

10. Salty beverage - Sea Tea (Nikyma)

11. Mallard in the rain - Duck Muck (ktwordplayer)

12. Spice decree - Sage Wage (Melis)

13. Rolling quake - Tumble Rumble (octopuppy)

14. Tool used on the Eiffel tower - French Wrench (octopuppy)

15. Weak color - Faint Paint (Nikyma)

-Final Standings- (Kudos)

1kellygirl- 1

aerdramaqueen- 1

Melis- 1

ktwordplayer- 2

jdmensa- 3

octopuppy- 4

Nikyma- 4

Looks like a tie game on this one! Great job all!

I guess I'll begin work on RT#4!

Guest jdmensa

Brandonb,

Great job with these; they elicit competitiveness and creativity.

I only wish there was a way for us to guess and get a "score" or something before seeing all the other responses. It's a bit frustrating to read a "new" puzzle when most of the answers are already filled in...it's a matter of who sees the puzzle first..

I know some of us will try to answer the questions before reading the other responses, but sometimes I scoll down to a post with the "current standings" so I don't post too many repeat answers. It would be cool to have that added feature everyone being able to start with a clean slate and score (if it were possible). Of course, I'd prolly not finish near the top; but, it would be fun nonetheless.

Also, explanation for my #11 answer: A Mallard is a amphibious aircraft from the '40s-'50s with jet engines. That is why I thought "Wet Jet" would fit.

Ionic Tonic was, I thought, a good answer for 10 (although, I guess it does have a minor third syllable in ionic)..

Keep 'em coming!

Brandonb,

Great job with these; they elicit competitiveness and creativity.

I only wish there was a way for us to guess and get a "score" or something before seeing all the other responses. It's a bit frustrating to read a "new" puzzle when most of the answers are already filled in...it's a matter of who sees the puzzle first..

I know some of us will try to answer the questions before reading the other responses, but sometimes I scoll down to a post with the "current standings" so I don't post too many repeat answers. It would be cool to have that added feature everyone being able to start with a clean slate and score (if it were possible). Of course, I'd prolly not finish near the top; but, it would be fun nonetheless.

Also, explanation for my #11 answer: A Mallard is a amphibious aircraft from the '40s-'50s with jet engines. That is why I thought "Wet Jet" would fit.

Ionic Tonic was, I thought, a good answer for 10 (although, I guess it does have a minor third syllable in ionic)..

Keep 'em coming!

First let me say Thank you! The positive feedback is greatly appriciated!

Secondly... OMG! Thank you for reminding me about the Ionic Tonic, I was definitely planning on including that as a satisfactory answer! I completely forgot about it when I made that final listing. So please jdmensa, include yourself in the 4-kudos ranking!

...Even if I just put up the names on the "current standings" list it would be just as easy to trace back the people who had listed them.

It would be sweet to do a scoring system like you have suggested. I have a method in mind that would allow that to work, but frankly, I just don't want to put in the time! :P

Edited by Brandonb

Yeah, thanks again for all the cool puzzles! These are way better than the easy ones. Let me know when the next series comes out- I want to figure some out before everybody gets the first ones. Thanks again =) I know how much effort it takes to make some of these.

Yeah, thanks again for all the cool puzzles! These are way better than the easy ones. Let me know when the next series comes out- I want to figure some out before everybody gets the first ones. Thanks again =) I know how much effort it takes to make some of these.

Thank you, but these really don't take too much effort. The riddles that Itachi posts (what/who am I)... those take alot of effort to make (I tried and failed at a few :P ), and just as much effort to solve!

I've already made the next series (RT #4), and I'm half through w/ #5. I'm just not sure when I want to post it :P .

Maybe after dinner.... ;)