BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Activity courses

chocchief

Question

As part of its community recreation program, Cozy Valley offers ten different activity courses each given once per week. The courses are scheduled two per evening, Monday through Friday, one from 6:00 to 8:00 and the other from 8:00 to 10:00. Each of the five Smith children is enrolled in two of the classes, with no two children taking any of the same courses. From the following clues, can you deduce the two courses each child is taking, as well as when each course is held?

1. None of the children is taking two classes the same night.

2. Both Linda and Jane take their two courses before Bob and Rick have either of theirs.

3. The judo course is held earlier the same evening as Jane takes one of her classes, while the floor-exercise class is the same evening as one of Bob's.

4. The volleyball, squash, and ballet courses, in that chronological order (but not necessarily consecutively) are held earlier in the week than the karate course.

5. Bob has his 2 courses on consecutive days; Jane does not.

6. Pete has one course the same night as the balance-beam class is held and his other course later the same evening as one of Rick's courses.

7. The floor-exercise class is held earlier in the week than the handball course which is held earlier in the week than table tennis.

8. Karate is Thursday from 6:00 to 8:00.

9. Rick takes neither tumbling nor handball.

10. Squash and table tennis have the same time period on different nights.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 answers to this question

I found 2 solutions...Basically I got it down to this:

Monday 6-8: Judo - Linda
Monday 8-10: Volleyball - Jane
Tuesday 6-8: Balance - Linda
Tuesday 8-10: Squash - Pete
Wednesday 6-8: Ballet OR Tumlbling - Jane
Wednesday 8-10: Tumbling OR Ballet - Bob
Thursday 6-8: Karate - Bob
Thursday 8-10: Floor - Rick
Friday 6-8: Handball - Pete
Friday 8-10: Table Tennis - Rick

From what I can tell, both solutions work to satisfy all of the clues/requirements...the ONLY part I'm a little confused about that would completely screw up my approach is clue 6:
6. Pete has one course the same night as the balance-beam class is held and his other course later the same evening as one of Rick's courses.
Does that mean "later in the same evening" which would then imply it would be during the 8-10 slot...or does it mean "later in the week the same evening"? I took it to mean the latter...which is why I have Pete from 6-8 on Friday and Rick from 8-10...if you meant the former, then my solution does not work...
Edited by Pickett
  • Downvote 1

Monday 6-8: Judo - Linda
Monday 8-10: Volleyball - Jane
Tuesday 6-8: Squash- Pete
Tuesday 8-10: Balance Beam- Linda
Wednesday 6-8: Floor Exercise- Jane
Wednesday 8-10: Ballet - Bob
Thursday 6-8: Karate - Rick
Thursday 8-10: Handball - Bob
Friday 6-8: Table Tennis - Rick
Friday 8-10: Tumbling - Pete