BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

sonica.png

I recently saw this ad and knew it was wrong. Since the constant pull of gravity is only 32.17 fps/ps, there is no way it could reach 60 Mph in under 1 second. So my question to you is this.

Assuming the car was dropped from a hot air balloon to negate the argument over horizontal drag.

How fast was the car traveling after the .4 seconds it left the plane?

How far did the car fall in feet in .4 seconds?

How long would it have needed to travel in order to reach 60 Mph?

What was the distance traveled when it reached 60 Mph?

Extra credit: Assuming the plane was traveling in a straight line at 250 Mph. The car was push out of the plane at 3 Mph. What is the distance the car traveled from it's release to the time it reached 100 Mph?

2 answers to this question

Shoudl be something like this:

speed after 0.4s= 3.92 m/s or 8.8MPH

distance travelled after 0.4s= 0.78m

it would take about 2.74s to reach 60MPH and travelled 36.8 meters, if you don't take into account the air resistance.

extra credit: 4.4s to reach 100MPH and distance travelled is: 102m. if you don't take into account the air resistance.

Shoudl be something like this:

speed after 0.4s= 3.92 m/s or 8.8MPH

distance travelled after 0.4s= 0.78m

it would take about 2.74s to reach 60MPH and travelled 36.8 meters, if you don't take into account the air resistance.

extra credit: 4.4s to reach 100MPH and distance travelled is: 102m. if you don't take into account the air resistance.

I agree with all answers but the extra credit. Maybe I am not understanding what the question actually is, but I believe that kkehoe5 is asking 'what distance did the car traveled in the horizontal line, from the moment it began falling to the instant it reached 100 mi/h??

If that's the case

Considering it tokk 4.4 seconds to reach 100 mi/h, it was traveling at 250 mi/h in the horizontal minus 3 mi/h that dragged it out of the plane, it means that it fell off the plane, making a parabola with negative acceleration of 32.17 ft/s2 with initial velocity of 0 mi/h in the Y-axis and 0 acceleration with initial velocity of 247 mi/h in the X-axis.

Hence, the car traveled around 0.302 mi or 1,590 ft in the X-axis.