BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

An Anza original, been planning on it for weeks but too lazy to make it...

5 Rangers live in 5 neighboring houses, there are 5 different colors:

Red Blue Green Pink Yellow

5 zords:

Eagle Fox Goat Chimp Mole

5 Weapons:

Lance Blaster Sword Claws Grabber

And 5 Powers;

Kinesis Incinerate Teleportation Illusion Electricity

You come to the first house from the left and knock on the door to ask who lives where.

The owner came out and said:

I am the Green Ranger and I live next to the Ranger with the Lance Weapon who lives next to the Ranger with the Pink Color who lives next to the Ranger with the Goat Zord who lives next to the Ranger with the Teleportation Powers who lives next to the Ranger with the Claws Weapon who lives next to the Ranger with the Yellow Color who lives next to the Ranger with the Eagle Zord who lives next to the Ranger with the Mole Zord who lives next to the Ranger with the Illusion Powers who lives next to the Ranger with the Fox Zord who lives next to the Ranger with the Incinerate Powers who lives next to the Ranger with the Chimp Zord who lives next to the Ranger with the Red Color who lives next to the Ranger with the Blaster Weapon who lives next to the Ranger with the Blue Color who lives next to the Ranger with the Electricity Powers

After a little while the house owner added "Oh, and I am also the Ranger who uses the sword"...

Who lives in each house and what are their zords/weapons and powers?

Note: The riddle has exactly 1 solution and it's practical, I tried it as a solver...

Edited by Anza Power

8 answers to this question

The solution-

1st house-green ranger,sword,chimp,kinesis

2nd house-red,lance,goat,incerate

3rd house-pink,blaster,fox,teleportation

4th house-blues,claws,eagle,illusion

5th house-yellow,grabber,mole,electricity

Is it the right answer?I think so.

araver was the first to get it, I thought it would be a bit harder, I knew aI should've added another line...:P

How'd you come to the answer anyways?

I built a recursive algorithm in ActionScript

It wasn't until 10 minutes ago that I saw this riddle on my iGoogle and I started to solve it and I even finished the riddle. Fortunately for me I was correct. Personally, I drew myself a table and then filled it with the provided information, by first noting down the possibilities and then eliminating the redundant ones. I then reached the conclusion that everybody had already posted.

It was really fun doing this. I'm thus looking forward to new riddles. Great job, Anza!

araver was the first to get it, I thought it would be a bit harder, I knew aI should've added another line...:P

How'd you come to the answer anyways?

Well,

Pen & paper as a sort of tree ... constrained to the 5 columns representing the 5 houses.

Start with Green in the first column then on each row write each new clue in the possible locations.

You get a sort of a tree, harder to describe clearer in this post, without some ASCII art :)

E.g. after 4 clues you get 4 rows:

Green - - - -

- Lance - - - (only possibility)

Pink - Pink - - (next to = go left or right)

at this point you notice that Pink cannot be under Green so you delete the branch that produced that Pink:

- - Pink - -

- Goat - Goat -

Tele - Tele - Tele

- Claws - Claws

Yellow - Yellow - Yellow

At this point you notice that Yellow cannot be under Green or Pink so it's house 5. Delete the branches to get:

Green - - - -

- Lance - - -

- - Pink - -

- Goat - Goat -

Tele - Tele - Tele

- - - Claws -

- - - - Yellow

Since Claws is house 4 then Goat is house 2 and so on ...

The advantage of the human mind is

that it's already recursive and can handle breadth-first searches for 5 columns.

:)

Well,

Pen & paper as a sort of tree ... constrained to the 5 columns representing the 5 houses.

Start with Green in the first column then on each row write each new clue in the possible locations.

You get a sort of a tree, harder to describe clearer in this post, without some ASCII art :)

E.g. after 4 clues you get 4 rows:

Green - - - -

- Lance - - - (only possibility)

Pink - Pink - - (next to = go left or right)

at this point you notice that Pink cannot be under Green so you delete the branch that produced that Pink:

- - Pink - -

- Goat - Goat -

Tele - Tele - Tele

- Claws - Claws

Yellow - Yellow - Yellow

At this point you notice that Yellow cannot be under Green or Pink so it's house 5. Delete the branches to get:

Green - - - -

- Lance - - -

- - Pink - -

- Goat - Goat -

Tele - Tele - Tele

- - - Claws -

- - - - Yellow

Since Claws is house 4 then Goat is house 2 and so on ...

The advantage of the human mind is

that it's already recursive and can handle breadth-first searches for 5 columns.

:)

lol I wanted to make another row but looks like I over-estimated the hardness of this riddle......or I underestimated you guys...

Should I make one for a 30x30 table and see how you solve it? :P

lol I wanted to make another row but looks like I over-estimated the hardness of this riddle......or I underestimated you guys...

Should I make one for a 30x30 table and see how you solve it? :P

:)) 30x30 clearly discourages pen & paper ... since the invention of computers :P

(Before that people actually try to compute more than 600 decimals for PI)

Regarding difficulty, it branches off pretty quickly for 5 houses in a row.

Aranging the houses in a circle, this strategy would work harder. But this should also prove to be more difficult for you to ensure an unique solution.

Also, branching was easier because hints came in the first row. E.g. Green/Lance/Pink.

You could try maximizing the interval between clues of the same type. e.g. giving a clue about color, zord, weapon, power and then color again.

But most of all, thank you for bolding the clues. That made the whole pen&paper experience much easier ;)