I rise high above but am one of the pack

The sisters are with me and I've got their back

What Am I and what is my name?

Good luck!

17 answers to this question

Sirius, the dog star?

Woo-hoo! You got it. Good job! :thumbsup:

Sirius, The Dog Star

I am one of many, but my name is well-known one of many stars ...

At one time or another, I can see every home ...in the sky

I can inspire and give good direction stars used for art, poetry, mapping and navigation

I'm not considered trivial or full of affection sirius sounds like"serious"

If you can get a handle on me you'll know where you're headed not like the big dipper's handle, but handle like manage, as in dogs or a even a leash handle

But shining a light on me will not help you get it it must be dark to see the stars

I rise high above but am one of the pack in the sky, but is known as the Dog Star, and dogs run in packs

The sisters are with me and I've got their back sisters, not so much the Plieides, but sisters are stars in general...

Sol? (Earth's Sun)

I am one of many,(one of the stars in the galaxy) but my name is well-known

(Sol or the Sun)

At one time or another, I can see every home (northern or southern hemisphere almost everyday.

I can inspire and give good direction (a sunrise or sunset is inspiring and shows east and west)

I'm not considered trivial or full of affection (very important for life but the sun is often described as harsh or unforgiving)

If you can get a handle on me you'll know where you're headed (used in orienting your position as well as figuring out north, south, east and west)

But shining a light on me will not help you get it (Any light that you can shine would be insignificant compared to sunlight)

I rise high above but am one of the pack (high noon, and just another "ordinary" star.)

The sisters are with me and I've got their back (The sisters are a constellation. he's got their back meaning that he shines during the day while they shine at night)

:rolleyes:

edit: I had good reason but I got scooped by the right answer.

Edited by hugemonkey

Sol? (Earth's Sun)

I am one of many,(one of the stars in the galaxy) but my name is well-known

(Sol or the Sun)

At one time or another, I can see every home (northern or southern hemisphere almost everyday.

I can inspire and give good direction (a sunrise or sunset is inspiring and shows east and west)

I'm not considered trivial or full of affection (very important for life but the sun is often described as harsh or unforgiving)

If you can get a handle on me you'll know where you're headed (used in orienting your position as well as figuring out north, south, east and west)

But shining a light on me will not help you get it (Any light that you can shine would be insignificant compared to sunlight)

I rise high above but am one of the pack (high noon, and just another "ordinary" star.)

The sisters are with me and I've got their back (The sisters are a constellation. he's got their back meaning that he shines during the day while they shine at night)

:rolleyes:

edit: I had good reason but I got scooped by the right answer.

Nice try, though! Enjoyed reading your reasoning, thanks! :thumbsup: