BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

11 answers to this question

I don't really think this is a word riddle since it's a straight up algebra problem and I'm not sure why Vahid insists it is impossible when there is clearly an answer. In the end, the "I' in the puzzle has 13 and the "you" has 10 (in other words, X in the puzzle is 14) This is assuming that the "you" calculated 2/3 of their apples based on their initial count. I found an answer for if they calculated the 2/3 after receiving the extra apples but it did not come out with nice, integral answers so I discounted that case.

assuming "you" doesnt have any apples to begin with, both "you" and "I" have the same amount of apples that "I" started with. that means that the number of apples "you" has and "I" has add up to the total number of apples "I" had in the beginning

x-1+x-4=x (the number of apples "I" had and "you" had equal the original amount of apples)

2x-5=x (commutative property/adding like terms)

2x=x+5

x=5

from this, you can then find out what each had.

hope it helped! seventh grade algebra 1!

assuming "you" doesnt have any apples to begin with, both "you" and "I" have the same amount of apples that "I" started with. that means that the number of apples "you" has and "I" has add up to the total number of apples "I" had in the beginning

x-1+x-4=x (the number of apples "I" had and "you" had equal the original amount of apples)

2x-5=x (commutative property/adding like terms)

2x=x+5

x=5

from this, you can then find out what each had.

hope it helped! seventh grade algebra 1!

you cannot assume "you" had no apples to start with. I am with Dudley Dude on this answer.

In the end, you have x-4 apples and I have x-1 apples.

The total number of apples in the problem is therefore 2*x - 5

In the beginning, I had x apples, meaning you had the remaining 2*x-5 - x = x-5 apples.

I give you half of my original amount or x/2 and you give me 2/3 of your original amount or 2/3(x-5)

My final amount is therefore

x - x/2 + 2/3(x-5) = 7/6 * x -10/3

We know from the problem that I end up with x-1

so

7*x/6 -10/3 = x-1

Solving for x gives

x/6 = 7/3

or

x = 14

Therefore

I started with 14, and you started with 9.

I gave you 7 and you gave me 6.

I ended with 13 and you ended with 10.

This matches every aspect of the problem's requirements.

I have X apples, I gave 1/2 to you and you gave me 6/9 of yours. In the end, you had X-4 apples and I X-1 apples. How many apples do you and I have?

I have 10 apples and you have 6

x = "I"s apples to start, y = "your" apples to start, therefore x-1 = x - (x/2) + (2y/3) which eventually settles down to 4y = 3x - 6. The other side of the equation is y - (2y/3) + (x/2) = x - 4 which boils down to 2y = 3x - 24. If you then do some simple substitution, you get y=9 and x=14... x (starting number for "I") was 14, gave 7 (half), received 6, now has 13 (x-1 or 14-1); y "you" started with 9, have 6 (two thirds) but received 7 so are not on 10 (x-4... 14-4). Cool?