BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Hey Denizens! Long time no see. Thanks to an extended unemployment stint, the great state of Michigan is offering to send me to school and get the degree that qualifies me to do the job I was already doing. (Go figure)

I took some classes 5 years ago, but it's been long enough they want me to take the COMPASS placement test again. Last time I took it, I tested into Prob. and Stats. This time, Trig killed me. And the way the test is now set up, it progresses through math portions sequentially. Last time, I blew Trig and still made up for it with some more advanced math. (Ironically, I aced the reading and writing portions and those were the ones I was worried about. Grammar can be tricky after spending a decade writing emails and playing MMORPGs!)

So here's the dilemma. I can take the math portion again, but I need a crash refresher course in Trig, plus probably some review on College Algebra and basic Calculus. Do you guys know of any good sites? I took a quick look at some of the trig help sites I googled and was more confused than ever.

I would hate to have to take 2 or 3 unnecessary math courses because I forgot the formulas for Trig functions.

Thanks in advance for the help.

5 answers to this question

Not sure if this will help or if it's below the level you need but the most memorable thing I remember from trig is SohCahToa. Somehow, I remember the sound.

Sine θ = opposite / hypotenuse

Cosine θ = adjacent / hypotenuse

Tan θ = opposite / adjacent.

This works only with right angled triangles.

Unfortunately, I will have to return to the books if you needs more than that.

Thanks UKJon. Yeah, I found that one already and it will be helpful, but I'm looking for more of an online refresher course/tutor. Something that I can do on my own that will help me remember all of the higher math that I've forgotten.

I was hoping some of the "mathy" types around here had the inside track on some of the more useful help sites. Or maybe even current students who have found one site or another useful.

I came back online just in time it seems.

Go to tutor-usa.com

You may need to set up an account, but the videos are so good that my sister can understand them. I'd just watch 'em all

SCORE!thumbsup.gif That's exactly what I was talking about. Thanks bunches and great to see ya again. I don't know if this will solve all my issues, but it will be TONS of help.