BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

What do you all think of giving an original mafia a run? Just like the first one I played Oasis, etc. Just have the original roles of mafia boss, bomb, healer, doctor, spy, etc.

I miss having the role that can tell if a player is lying. Other basic beginning roles are a great addition but they have fallen away in these new games.

My thinking behind that would be that since there are new ppl coming in here to play, it might really help them out. And we are having troubles filling the rosters.

what are your thoughts ya'll?

I remember playing mafia in class once where a couple of the mafia were insanely obvious, yet nobody voted them out, and it turned out that yep, I was right. -.- Most games I've played (only 3 or 4 games total) weren't half so obvious. I'm intrigued to see how you can make any sort of guess in online versions.

Are the roles going to be randomly assigned?

Also, this specific version, will the first person to die have any role? I skimmed over the Newbies' Guide to Mafia just a little, and I saw that mentioned. I think that when enough people are dead, they should be able to rise up and become a skeletal army and kill people, both innocent and bad!

What happens in the event of a tie vote?

Though... I guess you'll probably explain stuff like that as they arise, or in subsequent intro posts

I remember playing mafia in class once where a couple of the mafia were insanely obvious, yet nobody voted them out, and it turned out that yep, I was right. -.- Most games I've played (only 3 or 4 games total) weren't half so obvious. I'm intrigued to see how you can make any sort of guess in online versions. This is what makes Online Mafia so fun. It's like a riddle, you have to dissect language and hints and all kinds of different stuff to try and discover who is in the Mafia and who is not. It won't be as easy as a face to face game version where the liars are more obvious.

Are the roles going to be randomly assigned? Yes, the hosts will make up the basic roles and once everyone is on the sign up list they will be randomly assigned. They will PM you with your role

Also, this specific version, will the first person to die have any role? I skimmed over the Newbies' Guide to Mafia just a little, and I saw that mentioned. I think that when enough people are dead, they should be able to rise up and become a skeletal army and kill people, both innocent and bad! That is an awesome idea, but that might be for another type of Mafia, not this one. Sometimes hosts give players who die early some control, but only rarely.

What happens in the event of a tie vote? Either no lynch, a coin flip, or a double lynch. The host will specify this in the RD (role description) post or in the first post of the game thread.

Though... I guess you'll probably explain stuff like that as they arise, or in subsequent intro posts. Yea, there will be explanations of many things. This will be just like any other game but hopefully with less experienced people and more explaining and stuff so everyone can learn the basic ins and outs

Answers in orange above DN. Also CP got it right on with the RD's. SCSW and TPAXATB please feel free to clarify anything I just stated

I remember playing mafia in class once where a couple of the mafia were insanely obvious, yet nobody voted them out, and it turned out that yep, I was right. -.- Most games I've played (only 3 or 4 games total) weren't half so obvious. I'm intrigued to see how you can make any sort of guess in online versions.

Are the roles going to be randomly assigned?

Also, this specific version, will the first person to die have any role? I skimmed over the Newbies' Guide to Mafia just a little, and I saw that mentioned. I think that when enough people are dead, they should be able to rise up and become a skeletal army and kill people, both innocent and bad!

What happens in the event of a tie vote?

Though... I guess you'll probably explain stuff like that as they arise, or in subsequent intro posts

I'm finalizing the prologue post now :) I think we have the sides pretty well balanced, I'm running through a couple simulations to make sure.

To answer the questions:

First, these games are pretty fast paced at times, and slow at others. Mainly it has to do with when people are online. If you look at a couple of previous mafias, you can see that there are wild accusations and it can be VERY difficult to figure out what is being said. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), there's no tonal variation or facial expressions that you can track on in the online version. But that's half the fun...especially when you go back and reread the thread and realize ... "Ohhhhhh *THAT*s what he meant when he said that!"

The roles are randomly assigned.

In *this* particular version, the first person to die will have a role. It is well within the realm of possibility for no one to die on night 1, as this version will have both a saving role and a blocking role on the Innocent side. I've seen resurrection roles in other mafias. However, this one that we've put together is aimed to target newer players, and so the roles are VERY simple. In addition, since we are aiming this one to be simple, and due to the smaller number of players, this first chapter will not have CP's favorite role requests such as the bomb or lie detector. Perhaps in part 2, especially if we can hook the newer players on it :)

It's up to the host for the tied lynches. Due to the size of this one, we decided that it would be more fair (and more fun) if the tied lynches were to not lynch anyone. The details of the game mechanics are usually spelled out in the initial post (and will be in mine as well)

I posted the signup thread for a brush-up mafia I decided that in order to keep this thread clear for ideas and general questions, it would be better to have a separate thread for the brush-ups.

(Now to add the link to my signature :))