BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

From Rookie1ja's topic THINK ABOUT THESE Question no. 4 I had a question and that is :-

what will be the condition of the pen which was manufactured in year 2000 while time travelling to the year 1996.

Will it disappear

Will it be broken or lost between the tome travel

Or something else

Nothing can exist before it's birth and after it's death

I tried to post this letter to prof S.W.hawking but unfortunately I received no answer so I thought where can I get the Sharpest brain on earth so I posted it here

Edited by Shivam

9 answers to this question

The pen will exist though it will not be the same pen you had with you as the molecules you were using for the pen are already in use.(note: the same may be said for your body)

I believe that the pen would exist in the same form only. Any thing that tries to move in past or future does not loose its identity but exists as a new entity or as a duplicate of past or future entity.

The existence of pen would be no more or would vary only if the ingredients which were going to make that pen are altered with.

The pen will exist though it will not be the same pen you had with you as the molecules you were using for the pen are already in use.(note: the same may be said for your body)

yeah I also thought so

I think so because we had already learnt that mass is neither created nor destroyed. We grow because we eat food the matter (food) changes its state and that food is the result of the water,soil,solar energy and req.nutrients which are still not prepared and so how can you be prepared(grown).

First off, I do not believe in time travel. I have thought log an hard about it, an I figured that it would destroy the space-time continuum, and the universe with it.

But yes, the pen would exist. If you can exist years before you are your age (say your 14 in 2000, and if you timetravel, you will have to travel AROUND the space-time continuum, which is a one-way street and so the laws of time are not the same. Therefore you pen will exist in its form from the present (future?)

Edited by Aaryan

If there is such a thing as time travel, then it would only go forward (but at a slower pace than normal earth time). So, with that reasoning, the pen would obviously be the same as it had been previously. Personally, I don't think travelling backwards in time is an option, but if it was.... Then, the pen may still exist, even if it were to travel back to a time before it was created. It all goes back to the assumption that matter is neither created nor lost. If this is true, then time travel would never be possible since whatever allowed one to travel would disintegrate as it went backwards in time. So, if one was able to travel back in time, then the machine must have some property to protect itself along with the objects inside from changing back to their original state. Just my thoughts...