BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

23 answers to this question

no. consider the case where you have all 10 coins along the same line. you would have 6 lines of four. if you remove one coin from each end, you have 4 lines of four, and there is no way to make a 5th line with the two coins.

Okay. imagine a 3X3 table. leave the top left tab empty, and put one coin in all the rest. we have 8 coins. now, add a coin to the middle tab, on top of the other coin, and an other one on top of the coin in the right bottom tab. so we have :

1: middle vertical line- 1+2+1=4.

2: left vertical line: 1+1+2=4

3:second horizontal line: 1+2+1=4

4:3rd horizontal line: 1+1+1=4

5: diagonal line- from the top right to the bottom left- 1+2+1=4

is that alright? shall I add a diagram? (is it even possible...?)

The problem I was having was I was creating the 5 lines of 4 but also a couple extra lines of 3 or 2 coins length. After a few tries I found a way to position the coins in such a pattern that the lines are all 4 coins long because the coins must be in the immediate spaces to the up/down/left/right/4 diagonals to be considered adjacent.

My solution is as follows:

2xxx7

3(56)8

4xxx9

xxxx10

Note: Coins 5 and 6 are stacked on each other and there are no partial lines (i.e lengths<4 coins) due to the adjacent coin dilemma

Therefore the lines are:

......... 4

....5 6.... 7 8

* 1, 2, 5, 9

* 1, 3, 8, 10

* 3, 4, 6, 9

* 2, 4, 7, 10

* 5, 6, 7, 8

This solution requires curves to count as straight lines to be correct. The question specifically states straight lines.

Okay. imagine a 3X3 table. leave the top left tab empty, and put one coin in all the rest. we have 8 coins. now, add a coin to the middle tab, on top of the other coin, and an other one on top of the coin in the right bottom tab. so we have :

1: middle vertical line- 1+2+1=4.

2: left vertical line: 1+1+2=4

3:second horizontal line: 1+2+1=4

4:3rd horizontal line: 1+1+1=4

5: diagonal line- from the top right to the bottom left- 1+2+1=4

is that alright? shall I add a diagram? (is it even possible...?)

Please add the diagram if you find no difficulty in that

Couldn't quite figure out PaperCat's instructions but they lead me to this arrangement.

1 1

Each number stands for the number of coins in that location. The five straight lines are the left and right verticals, the two lower horizontals and the diagonal from lower left to top right.

In response to my first post...

This solution requires curves to count as straight lines to be correct. The question specifically states straight lines.

I disagree - perhaps my graphic is too rudimentary to correctly represent the straight lines, but I can easily draw the 5 lines implied by my solution without the use of curves. The only question is whether the additional line segments created by two points in various places are allowed within the wording of the puzzle.

Edited by Smith

In response to my first post...

I disagree - perhaps my graphic is too rudimentary to correctly represent the straight lines, but I can easily draw the 5 lines implied by my solution without the use of curves. The only question is whether the additional line segments created by two points in various places are allowed within the wording of the puzzle.

Brumster, perhaps you assume that my solution involves stacked coins as yours does. This was not the case. Mine is more akin to the 'star' solutions I see elsewhere.

Brumster, perhaps you assume that my solution involves stacked coins as yours does. This was not the case. Mine is more akin to the 'star' solutions I see elsewhere.

Makes sense. It's hard to do diagrams on this site. It took me 5 minutes to get mine right. I like yours. It seems to be the best way without stacking.