BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Sorry i am posting a lot of math riddles but here is another one,

You are a 25 year old man and you are running in the olympics for a gold medal in a 20 mile race. You can run 9.0 miles per hour, one of your opponents can run 9.1, another of your opponents can run 9.5, and the last of your opponents can run 10.0 miles per hour. You have an energy bar that can make you run faster 0.6 miles per hour faster. It wears off after 1 minute. If you can use anytime you want what place will you come in and how far behind or ahead will you be?

8 answers to this question

No point in bothering with the math, this is not a math problem. It is a more of a riddle. You will be disqualified for using the energy bar and thus won't even be considered to have come in last. They are very stict about these things at the olympics

;)<

assuming that acceleration isnt really relevant here and that when you use the energy bar, the rate instantly goes from 9.0 to 9.6 for 1 minute and then drops back to 9.0 instantly after the minute is up, you would finish the 20 miles in 2 hours, 13 minutes, and 16 seconds.

The energy bar lets you run 9.6mph = 0.16miles/minute. Thus if you use the energy bar at any time where you can use it for a full minute you would run 0.16 miles for the duration of the energy bar boost.

so then for 1 minute you ran 0.16 miles, and for the other 19.84 miles you would go at a rate of 9.0mph, which means that 19.84miles(1hour/9miles)=2.20444 = 2 hours 12 minutes and 16 secods.

so you ran for 1 minute at 9.6 mph, and 2hours 12 minutes, 16 seconds at 9.0mph totaling at 2 hours, 13 minutes, and 16 seconds. Interestingly, if you didnt use the energy bar you would have only been 4 seconds slower.

The next fastest runner would have run 20miles(1hour/9.1miles) = 2 hours 11 minutes 52 seconds. the next fastest after him would run at 20(1/9.5) = 2 hours 6 minutes and ~18.9 seconds, and the fastest runner would finish in exactly 2 hours.

Quag is right. You will be disqualified so you wasted your time on the math. I just tricked you!!!

I dont think the math was a waste of time.. as far as i know most atheletes use energy bars as nutritional supliments before races all the time. There is nothing about energy bars that would disqualify you unless the specific one used contained some sort of drug not allowed by the olympics. While as a runner i personally think it would be impractical to eat an energy bar mid-race, there isnt anything about doing so that would disqualify the runner.

:thumbsup:

edit: unless i guess you assume that because the energy bar increases your rate that it must include a performance enhancing drug.. but think thats kinda a stretch.

Edited by Tribbs083

Tribbs083, you can eat an energy bar before the race but not in the race. You would be disqualified because of cheating.And yes, you are right it has to be specific but the judges don't know if it has any drugs that make you go faster.

Edited by thingamajigi