BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

John Silverstein was jailed for poisoning his own brother for 10 years. Now, he is finally getting out. Detective Courtney Grimier and Police Officer James Copperfield were anxious.

"All I wanted for now is to build a garden of my own. I have always wanted to be botanist, the main reason why I studied plants," he told the detective and the officer.

Detective Grimier and PO Copperfield went to John's garden. There was a flower's section with rows of marigolds, orchids, chrysanthemums and violets. There's also the fruits section with pears, apples, grapes and oranges. Beside it was a vegetables section with broccoli, lettuce, cucumbers and celery. The two sat by a picnic table in the middle of the garden.

Then, John came carrying two plates of fresh green salad. "I believe that you doubt about my innocence. I'm proud to tell you that I have changed. As you can see, I have a beautiful garden here as my sanctuary and business. I'm a criminal no more." The two just nodded.

Going home, Detective Grimier told PO Copperfield, "He is not a criminal now, but he sure isn't a botanist!" Why did Detective Grimier think that John is not a botanist?

Cucumbers are fruits, not vegetables! John says he had been studying plants because he wanted to be a botanist but yet, he mixed up..

4 answers to this question

The way the story reads, it doesn't imply that John labeled the cucumbers as vegetables. It seems to be that the Detective was self narrating and he mistook the cucumbers for Vegetables.

I disagree with your answer

If the detective had claimed this because he had a vegetable section at all, I may agree.

Vegetable - is strictly a culinary term, not a scientific or botanical one. So from a botanist point of view nothing is a vegetable.

While a cucumber is the fruit of the plant and botanically speaking, a fruit, from a culinary point of view it is a vegetable because it it used in cooking like a vegetable.

So if you were to ask is a cucumber a fruit or a vegetable the correct answer is vegetable, since only from a culinary point of view do both of those terms have meaning. So if you are asking that question your must be asking from the culinary perspective.

To a person who studied plants all his life he must have known these facts...

Fruits = plants that grow from seeds such as apples, coconuts and oranges

Vegetables = plants that grow from parts of the original plant...

I have a lot of sources, and I can't be wrong..

One of the people who replied said something like it doesn't mention in the story that John didn't label cucumbers as vegetables. It did. "Beside it is a vegetables section with broccoli, lettuce, cucumbers and celery." It's not okay to trust on one source only. It's also not good to rely on just the internet. A lot of knowledge are stored in books, so try it... I guaranteed the problem before posting it here...