GWPDQZJATNVKMBIWXOHRFCUETDLGKP
YQOZMHANISREFUJTBKLCVXOSHGJWVY
XRDPAFUNMQTKOZIELHBSRGWFJVUPDX
MTSKAICJEYQLGPZBMOHRIELNFVXCUT
[/code]

What are the ordered subsets?

7 answers to this question

How I did it

I opened it up in Notepad and made it all one line. Then starting with V I added a return before each one. I ended up with several lines all starting with V. Ignoring the last line, because the code could have ended before the subset that started with V cycled thur, I picked the shortest line. Then i took the next letter after the V and checked if it was in every line, if it was I added it to the V subset and deleted it from all the lines. I continuted thur the line until the last letter. Then I deleted all the V's and the returns so i had one line again the repeated the prosess untill I used all the letters.

Only using Notepad I got

FUTKOHR, MIELGP, CYQZB, WDAN, VXSJ, Z

There's the trivial answer, and then there's the previous answer

The trivial answer is 26 sets of single letters. The more serious answer is stewdeker's answer. This challenge doesn't require much programming, since for any letter, we can identify groups of letters that can not possibly be in the same group as our original letter by looking at the frequency between repeated occurances. For instance, if "A" does not appear between two occurances of "V", then "A" can not belong to the same group as "V". That said, there are multiple solutions, which can be found by combining the trivial answer with the official answer.

Edited by bushindo

There's the trivial answer, and then there's the previous answer

The trivial answer is 26 sets of single letters. The more serious answer is stewdeker's answer. This challenge doesn't require much programming, since for any letter, we can identify groups of letters that can not possibly be in the same group as our original letter by looking at the frequency between repeated occurances. For instance, if "A" does not appear between two occurances of "V", then "A" can not belong to the same group as "V". That said, there are multiple solutions, which can be found by combining the trivial answer with the official answer.

My answer would be the smallest number of subsets possible. I assumed that that was what the OP vaguely stated. Or maybe should have.

:)

Wow! You guys are good! Not only did you solve the problem, but you pointed out flaws in my statement. I should have constrained the problem some more. Bushindo's comment never occured to me even though it seems obvious now. Stewdecker got the 5 subsets I used to make the puzzle (the lone Z was already used in another subset). It goes to show you that a little thought is often better than a brute force programming solution. I tip my hat to Stewdecker!

Edit: fixed a typo

Edited by superprismatic