Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 octopuppy

octopuppy

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1303 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 08:22 PM

The ruler of the island of Honestants and Swindlecants wishes to establish diplomatic relations with your country (the population of the island are all either Honestants, who speak only the truth, or Swindlecants, who always lie). He sends four envoys: an Admiral, a Bishop, a Consul, and a Duke, whose names are Edwards, Fitzroy, Gerrard, and Harris, though perhaps not in that order. The envoys introduce themselves to you:

Envoy 1: "My name is Edwards. Fitzroy is an Admiral."

Envoy 2: "My name is Fitzroy. There are at least two Swindlecants in this delegation."

Envoy 3: "My name is Gerrard. If Harris is a Bishop, then Edwards is a Swindlecant."

Envoy 4: "I am the Consul. My name is not Harris."

Well, that's enough chit-chat. You have a job to do, which is to introduce the envoys one at a time to your king, using their correct names and official titles. Any mistakes or omissions would be politically embarrassing, so naturally you would be beheaded for your incompetence. Ah! Here comes the king now...

Stating the obvious:
Multiple statements are not logical conjunctions, in other words, each statement made by a Swindlecant must be a lie, not just one of them.
Each envoy has one and only one official title (Admiral/Bishop/Consul/Duke).

Edited by octopuppy, 16 November 2009 - 12:47 PM.

#2 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5561 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 10:22 AM

I find 13 solutions.
Spoiler for Analysis:

The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#3 octopuppy

octopuppy

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1303 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 11:16 AM

I find 13 solutions.

Spoiler for Analysis:

So close, bonanova, but I think you got a bit lost in the middle there. Take another look at Envoy 3...

#4 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5561 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 01:05 PM

So close, bonanova, but I think you got a bit lost in the middle there. Take another look at Envoy 3...

Spoiler for Fixing Envoy 3's atatements ...
Tip of the hat to octopuppy for a nice puzzle. ;)
OK, now give mine a try
The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#5 octopuppy

octopuppy

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1303 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 04:45 PM

Nice one bonanova. I must say I am quite pleased with the format for this puzzle. The possibilities are enormous, and maybe I wimped out by leaving a trail of breadcrumbs. Who knows, I might do a harder version, or someone else might ;)

Here's the complete solution for anyone who's stuck:

Spoiler for the logic

#6 Ploper

Ploper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 07:09 PM

WOO!
I'm just happy to see another honestants and swindlecants puzzle
I missed those guys :P

#7 kanika

kanika

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 03:31 PM

Spoiler for Think I have it.

#8 octopuppy

octopuppy

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1303 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:32 PM

Spoiler for Think I have it.

You're absolutely right. Well done and welcome to Brainden!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users