Jump to content


Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse
 

Photo
- - - - -

How would you cross puzzle land?


  • Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 plasmid

plasmid

    Senior Lolcat

  • VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1430 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 03 April 2009 - 02:50 PM

In your travels, you come to a crossroads with two men who only answer yes/no questions, one of whom always tells the truth and another always lies. You are about to make short work of the puzzle, but then you notice that there are actually dozens of possible paths out from the crossroads. Mildly flustered, you turn to one of the men and ask, “If I were to ask the other fellow what your answer to this question is, would he say 'yes'?” After thinking a moment and stuttering a bit, the man's head explodes. The remaining one is so scared witless that he gives you directions, and you know that even if he were the liar he would at this point not dare to cross you. (He volunteers something along the lines of, “If you were to ask me which way you wanted to go, I'd say that way.”)

You then come across a river, a fox, a chicken, a bag of grain, and a rowboat that can only carry you and one piece of cargo. Since crossing the river in a rowboat is a lot of work, you take off a shoelace and use it to muzzle the chicken, and then get everything across in five crossings instead of seven. You recover your shoelace with a bit of chicken spit (not misspelled) and continue onward.

You bring your fox, chicken, and grain to a sheer cliff face. The path takes you to a spot halfway up, and at the top is the market where you want to sell them. The cliff has a pulley mechanism with a basket to bring up you and your goods, and a counterweight container to be filled with water, along with a warning: "Fill the counterweight with too little water and you'll go crashing down. Fill it with too much water and you'll be hurled up out of control. Fill it just right, and a small push will take you safely to the top. Be sure you're balanced before releasing the brakes! The empty counterweight container weighs just as much as the empty basket." You weigh yourself and your goods on an electric scale and it reads 83 kg, and runs out of power and shuts down immediately afterward. There is a 20 L jug and a 5 L jug and a waterfall to fill them with. How do you get up the cliff? (Remember from the previous two encounters that you're a bit of a wise-a**.)
  • 0

#2 slight

slight

    Junior Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:02 PM

Spoiler for answer

Edited by slight, 03 April 2009 - 03:03 PM.

  • 0

#3 zugzwang(part duex)

zugzwang(part duex)

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:04 PM

Spoiler for Full Bladder

  • 0

#4 roberto

roberto

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:08 PM

never press the brakes. keep filling it up until u start going slowly up
  • 0

#5 slight

slight

    Junior Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:09 PM

Spoiler for not for the unenergetic

  • 0

#6 plasmid

plasmid

    Senior Lolcat

  • VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1430 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:29 PM

Clarification:
Remember, the path took you halfway up the cliff face, which is where all this machinery is. The brakes are currently on, allowing you to fill the counterweight and then board the basket before releasing the brakes.
  • 0

#7 wafflechip

wafflechip

    Junior Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:50 PM

Spoiler for Hmm

  • 0

#8 JarZe

JarZe

    Senior Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1006 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:02 PM

Why don't you
Spoiler for Try this..

  • 0

#9 wafflechip

wafflechip

    Junior Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:47 PM

Why don't you

Spoiler for Try this..


Spoiler for But

  • 0

#10 scsw

scsw

    Senior Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1201 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 07:06 PM

Spoiler for Tee hee

  • 0




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users