Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lion and Unicorn II.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
63 replies to this topic

#21 leo78

leo78

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 06:39 PM

I don't think lion's is speaking in logic terms when he answer. The "AND" is not a logic statement. If it is one logic statement, there are 4 possible outcome and than you are right

True AND True = TRUE (truth days)
True AND False = FALSE (Lie days)
False AND True = FALSE (Lie days)
False AND False = FALSE (Lie days)

but the "and" in his statement is for connection only. So he made two statement in his sentence. And there are only 2 possible outcome instead of 4

True AND True = TRUE (truth days)
True AND False = Unacceptable
False AND True = Unacceptable
False AND False = FALSE (Lie days)

because he can only made one type of statement, there are two unacceptable outcome.

"I lie yesterday" Truth statement (TRUE) on Thuresday, Lie statement (FALSE) on Monday. Unacceptable on any other days because it will be telling the truth on a lie day and lie on a truth day.

"two days after tomorrow I will be lying again" Truth statement (TRUE) on Friday, Lie statement (FALSE) on Monday and Tuesday also if you disregard the "again".

So the answer is only possible on Monday.

I cut out using the INV to make it easier to understand. And if you want the real logic equations, it should be like this.

Truth days

"Statement 1" AND "Statement 2"

Lie days

INV(Statement 1) AND INV(Statement 2)

and the result must be TRUE.

in this case a truth statement is always TRUE and a Lie statement is always FALSE.

#22 eej75

eej75

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 07:57 PM

Has to be Monday.

#23 slmo

slmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 09:56 PM

I'd go with MONDAY on this one, but with this caveat: I don't see the need to solve every logic problem with a "prescribed formula" that was proferred by some textbook. Arguing the validity of a statement over the definition or the "logical function" of the word "and" simply eliminates creativity and thinking, reducing the solution to the application of a formula. It seems more fun to solve the puzzle in everyday english using common sense. I'm not trying to rant, just thinking freely

#24 idinaadi

idinaadi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 07:55 AM

your logic is right ...but still i would go with Monday as the answer...it says da lion lies on monday so i am assuming that both the statements it speaks are lies.

ANd ya, rookie1ja ...ur puzzles are damn good...keep up da great job

#25 Craig 444

Craig 444

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 10:34 PM

How could the lion and unjicorn remember that? there in the forest of forgetfulness!

#26 zykloft

zykloft

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 02:04 PM

Since in this puzzle the lion says “Yesterday I was lying AND two days after tomorrow I will be lying again.” That means that rookie1ja and his logic table from wikipedia are correct, because they deal with statements that have AND as a Logical conjunction. If the lion said, “Yesterday I was lying. Two days after tomorrow I will be lying again.” Then the answer would be Monday, because if he says it in this way then they are in fact two different statements, and therefore the must either both be true or both be false, and Monday is the only day that will fulfill those conditions.
I think that is correct and I hope it helps with the confusion

#27 thewallrus

thewallrus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 10:11 PM

It is not logical take only part of the lion's sentance as what he said. It would be like taking something out of context.

The statement "Yesterday I was lying" is true on a monday and not tuesday or wednesday.

The statement " Yesterday I was lying and two days after tomorrow I will be lying again" is not true on monday, tuesday, or wednesday." Which means he would be lying on a monday, tuesday, or, wednesday, which is allowed.

answer is: monday, tuesday, or wednesday.

#28 thewallrus

thewallrus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 07:21 AM

sorry, my second sentance is supposed to say.

The statement "Yesterday I was lying" is not true on a monday and is true on a tuesday or wednesday.

#29 NeilsBohr

NeilsBohr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:47 PM

Speaking strictly in the logical definition of a conjunction the entire sentnce is false on monday tuesday and wednesday. the difference in the correctness of the answers comes when you approach the issue of when it is a lie. I approached it as always lying is to speak absolutely no truth. if the question is approached with this line of thinking then monday is the only correct answer because it eliminates the possibility of false/true making the only answer possiblities being true/true (telling the truth) and false/false (telling a lie).

Or you could just pick monday regardless of the line of thought and always be right :lol:

#30 heatherlovesjade

heatherlovesjade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 08:04 PM

thursday- the day before he would have lied for it was wedsnday- two days after tomorrow friday, plus two days staurday sunday- monday would be a lying day-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users