Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Masters of Logic Puzzles I. (dots)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
57 replies to this topic

#1 rookie1ja

rookie1ja

• Site Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 04:19 PM

Masters of Logic Puzzles I (dots) - Back to the Logic Puzzles
Three Masters of Logic wanted to find out who was the wisest amongst them. So they turned to their Grand Master, asking to resolve their dispute. “Easy,” the old sage said. "I will blindfold you and paint either red, or blue dot on each man’s forehead. When I take your blindfolds off, if you see at least one red dot, raise your hand. The one, who guesses the color of the dot on his forehead first, wins." And so it was said, and so it was done. The Grand Master blindfolded the three contestants and painted red dots on every one. When he took their blindfolds off, all three men raised their hands as the rules required, and sat in silence pondering. Finally, one of them said: "I have a red dot on my forehead."
How did he guess?

This old topic is locked since it was answered many times. You can check solution in the Spoiler below.
Pls visit New Puzzles section to see always fresh brain teasers.

Spoiler for Solution

Spoiler for old wording

rookie1ja (site admin)
Optical Illusions
Support BrainDen

"To start: Press any key... Where's the 'any' key?" - Homer Simpson

#2 clarinetman

clarinetman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 02:30 AM

...or he just looked into a mirror. ^^"

#3 Canna71

Canna71

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 04:26 PM

Just a doubt:
the solution is based on the fact that the "wiser" is the "quicker" in finding the answer.
But the logic reasoning that the "wiser" uses, is actually based on the fact that the "less-wise" ones remains silent and so it implies that his dot (the wisest's) is red.
But if they could have remained silent for a certain amount of time even if his dot was blue.
As said, if everyone thinks at the same speed, they all should be saying "red". So if two are silent, doesn't actually imply mine is red, just they haven't yet realised.

To tell it in other words: if "C" had a blue dot, how long should he wait before knowing the answer? Suppose the other two are "slow", he would then say "red", which is wrong.

#4 Incognitum

Incognitum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 12:49 PM

I agree, the idea of the logical puzzle being based on knowing that the other guy should know what I think he knows I'm thinking is a little ungainly.

How about this: The grand master was also in the dark room when painting the three wise men, and yet they didn't hear him struggling to open a second can of paint in the dark, therefore only one collor was used, and once they were in the light and could see which color it was, the answer was apparent.

OR... As soon as the grand master painted the first dot, the wise man should've shouted 'Black!" since the room was dark, his spot would be black until such time as light fell apon it.

#5 MrOscar

MrOscar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 02:59 AM

There is a second, simpler solution.

It does not require the pause.

It is this:

The test is only fair if all three dots are the same colour.

#6 normdeplume

normdeplume

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 10:22 AM

It is this:

I like This solution. The Grand - Master would make it a fair test and the only way to make it fair is paint all 3 with the same colour. The best logician would deduce this and could shout his colour out in the darkened room.

The most devious of the 3 would touch the paint with his finger, while it is wet and and look at his finger in the light and see what colour is on his hand.

#7 rookie1ja

rookie1ja

• Site Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 11:07 AM

It is this:

I like This solution. The Grand - Master would make it a fair test and the only way to make it fair is paint all 3 with the same colour. The best logician would deduce this and could shout his colour out in the darkened room.

The most devious of the 3 would touch the paint with his finger, while it is wet and and look at his finger in the light and see what colour is on his hand.

yes - fair chances ... this one was meant to prepare you for the next puzzle - Masters of Logic Puzzles II. (hats)

rookie1ja (site admin)
Optical Illusions
Support BrainDen

"To start: Press any key... Where's the 'any' key?" - Homer Simpson

#8 asatt26

asatt26

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 12:46 AM

This is by far my favorite. My a-hole boss asked me this in junior high years ago. When I got it right, he said I had heard it before. And, by the by, in my opinion, logic puzzle solutions are about pure logic, not trickery.

#9 unreality

unreality

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6370 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 12:02 AM

yep. i love these. there are so many variations, all are fun!

what would be funny is if the guy that yelled out "red!" actually had a blue dot, and another logician had already deduced that he himself had a red dot because he sees one blue and one red and the guy with red is raising his hand, meaning he sees ANOTHER red, which has to be the logician with red. But get this: what if that logician says nothing on purpose, so the logician with blue says "i know they're smart, they can quickly find out their own dots are red if mine was blue, but they are silent, so mine is red."

he shouts red and gets decapitated, and the other logicians grin cuz they hated him and were silent on purpose ;D

lol

#10 dsu

dsu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 11:48 PM

This is a quite easy puzzle and does not require any more solution.
However, we can abbreviate our thinking process thus:

All 3 hands went up, meaning there are at least 2 red dots.

If there was a 3rd blue dot, then 2 (each seeing a red and a blue) would immediately shout out the answer, "I have red dot" (logic: if I have also blue, all 3 hands would not go up, as the person with the red dot would see only blue; so I must have red dot).

But all were initially silent. So there is no 3rd blue dot. Therefore all must be red.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users