Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Aeroplane

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

#11 PDR

PDR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 02:45 PM

Actually PDR, I think you're confusing the 1/3 from the North Pole to the South Pole and 1/3 around the circle.

Posted Image
D'oh!

#12 erictheread

erictheread

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 08:54 PM

send two in one direction
and the third in the exact opposite
half way to the south pole transfer the remaining fuel on one aircraft
with a full tank this plane can finish the 1/4 to 3/4 legs of the journey
meeting with the third aircraft and refueling with the remainder
our plane can now finish the circumventing of this planet
cai

#13 BoilingOil

BoilingOil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 02:53 PM

It sounds a bit messy, and I assume things happen instantly, but it works, doesn't it??

This, to me, is the ONLY good solution where AT LEAST ONE airplane litterally goes AROUND THE GLOBE as the puzzle demanded.
And if even Rookie agrees...

Rookie's own solution is quicker, and less messy, but it just flies back and forth across one side of the planet.

My own brain staggered on this one, I must admit. This isn't the kind of puzzle I'm 'designed' for

Really great thinking.

BurningFuel

#14 credels

credels

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 10:57 PM

...but gravity is stronger at the poles, thus using more fuel.

#15 ZaGodmon

ZaGodmon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 09:31 AM

Couldn't you just fill the tank of the airplane full then put another tank of gass on the plane so that when the airplane's tank starts to run low, you could just refill it?

#16 papamike74

papamike74

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 05:48 PM

You guys are missing the simplest solution. 2 planes start to the south, at 1/2 way the #2 plane transfers the remaining 1/2 tank of fuel to plane #1, which continues on. Plane 2 ditches in the ocean. Plane #3 takes off in the opposite direction of #1 and at the 1/2 way point transfers 1/2 tank fuel (then also ditches) to #3 which continues on to return at airport. The only proviso is that 1 craft returns to airport, thus the other 2 are expendable. It is all in the timing. Mike

#17 accrual is cool

accrual is cool

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 07:59 AM

Thank you Mike! Everybody is giving these complicated answers, none of which involve ditching planes, and the most obvious/simple one was not mentioned until you posted. The problem stipulates nothing about the ditching of planes being frowned upon, although I do give props to those who worked around the destruction of aircraft.

#18 DISTILLED

DISTILLED

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 10:12 PM

Actually, the riddle does stipulate that all planes must return to the airport... My question is, how can there only be one airport? Usually with air travel there is an origin and a destination. If there are no other airports, where do the planes fly to? And why would they build at the north pole where jet fuel and other critical fluids would constantly be at risk of freezing? Not to mention the exhorborent costs involved in keeping the planes de-iced... This sounds more like an illogic puzzle to me...

#19 rookie1ja

rookie1ja

• Site Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 10:25 PM

Actually, the riddle does stipulate that all planes must return to the airport... My question is, how can there only be one airport? Usually with air travel there is an origin and a destination. If there are no other airports, where do the planes fly to? And why would they build at the north pole where jet fuel and other critical fluids would constantly be at risk of freezing? Not to mention the exhorborent costs involved in keeping the planes de-iced... This sounds more like an illogic puzzle to me...

it's just a puzzle to tease your brain and have some fun ... don't take it too seriously

rookie1ja (site admin)
Optical Illusions
Support BrainDen

"To start: Press any key... Where's the 'any' key?" - Homer Simpson

#20 DISTILLED

DISTILLED

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 10:43 PM

yeah, i know. just trying to impose a little humor. sorry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users