Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 brhan

brhan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 07:50 PM

The inhabitants of Lyra III recognize special years when their age is of the form a=p2q where 'p' and 'q' are different prime numbers. Some of the special years of the Lyrans are 12, 18 and 20. On Lyra III one is a student until reaching a special year immediately following a special year (i.e. on the second year of consecutive special years); one then becomes a master until reaching a year that is the third in a row of consecutive special years; finally one becomes a sage until death, which occurs in a special year that is the fourth in a row of consecutive special years.

Now the questions are:
( i.) When does one become a master?
( ii.) When does one become a sage?
(iii.) How long do the Lyrans live?

#2 storm

storm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 03:01 AM

Spoiler for My guess

#3 Noct

Noct

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 03:34 AM

Storm, this puzzle probably uses the most common definition of prime number, which does not include 1. See if you can figure it out excluding the number 1. I haven't yet (although admittedly i haven't given it an extreme amount of thought)

#4 jword

jword

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 04:10 AM

Unless I´m reading wrong, already the ages are over 12years, ommiting the number 1 the first special year is 8, SOME of the special years are 12, 18, 20,. However not including the special year 8, I have come up with:-
A. 20
B. 44
C. 76 :wacko:

#5 Noct

Noct

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 04:16 AM

How did you come up with 8 being a special number?

#6 kiger

kiger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 05:33 AM

oops

Edited by kiger, 17 March 2008 - 05:37 AM.

#7 kiger

kiger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 05:36 AM

The inhabitants of Lyra III recognize special years when their age is of the form a=p2q where 'p' and 'q' are different prime numbers. Some of the special years of the Lyrans are 12, 18 and 20. On Lyra III one is a student until reaching a special year immediately following a special year (i.e. on the second year of consecutive special years); one then becomes a master until reaching a year that is the third in a row of consecutive special years; finally one becomes a sage until death, which occurs in a special year that is the fourth in a row of consecutive special years.

Now the questions are:
( i.) When does one become a master?
( ii.) When does one become a sage?
(iii.) How long do the Lyrans live?

Spoiler for mostly

if not then i dont see it, any prime^2 equles a non prime, and they arnt exponetal, so they dont die? that or they dont exist

#8 Noct

Noct

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 05:37 AM

no, -1 is not a prime number, and for all intensive purposes neither is 1, although it sometimes is used as such.

To explain how it works

2 and 3 are both prime. so a=(2^2)*3=12 where a is a special age. do the same thing for any other prime numbers, trying to find a sequence where there are 3, 4, and 5 consecutive special ages in a row.

Edited by Noct, 17 March 2008 - 05:41 AM.

#9 PhoenixTears

PhoenixTears

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 06:00 AM

Spoiler for for solution?

Edited by PhoenixTears, 17 March 2008 - 06:04 AM.

#10 brhan

brhan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 11:13 AM

no, -1 is not a prime number, and for all intensive purposes neither is 1, although it sometimes is used as such.

To explain how it works

2 and 3 are both prime. so a=(2^2)*3=12 where a is a special age. do the same thing for any other prime numbers, trying to find a sequence where there are 3, 4, and 5 consecutive special ages in a row.

Ya, my assumption is like Noct said. The puzzle didn't assume '1' is as prime number ... otherwise, it will be too easy for you guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users