Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Children

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
62 replies to this topic

#51 mattkonczal13

mattkonczal13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:27 PM

Wait...Peter is asking how old Thomas' children are but the teaser question asks how old Peter's children are. We do not know!

Thomas is asking peter. read the beginning of the problem.

#52 spamwolf

spamwolf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 12:16 AM

But the oldest wore a "red" hat, implying that, perhaps, he's a professional, like a fireman. Then the ages of the children would need to be 1-2-18, so that the oldest could be old enough to be a fireman. The number of beers they drank then would be 21, one drank ten and the other eleven. I imagine they're both drunk by now.

Bit of a stretch if you ask me, though I can see your point.

#53 superteen

superteen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 07:38 PM

Wait...Peter is asking how old Thomas' children are but the teaser question asks how old Peter's children are. We do not know!

ok guys,...but what's the point of choosing 2 combinations having the same sum??

#54 ggreen

ggreen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 11:21 PM

Why has no body noted that children can be born 9, 10 or 11 months apart and still be the same number of years old (since years is always rounded down)? Therefore the answer 1,6,6 does not require twins, and there would be a clear older brother.

An example just to be as clear as possible - one child just turned 6, the "oldest" child will be turning 7 next month but is still 6 now.

Wow, this is true! Hadn't thought of that. Even still, if they are twins, most people know which twin was born first. My father and uncle identical twins and trust me, we're all constantly reminded that my father is 2.30 minutes older than my uncle...

Great teaser though, if not for this small flaw.

#55 Spook

Spook

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 06:19 PM

Children - Back to the Number Puzzles
An easier number puzzle is as follows. Two friends are chatting:
- Peter, how old are your children?
- Well Thomas, there are three of them and the product of their ages is 36.
- That is not enough ...
- The sum of their ages is exactly the number of beers we have drunk today.
- That is still not enough.
- OK, the last thing is that my oldest child wears a red hat.
How old were each of Peter's children?

There are quite a number of possible solutions, depending on how much these two characters can drink.

Ten are presented:
Spoiler for Solution

#56 spamwolf

spamwolf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 06:58 PM

There are quite a number of possible solutions, depending on how much these two characters can drink.

Ten are presented:

You are missing the fact that Thomas does know how many bears they had. Since this knowledge did not give him enough info to answer the question, all of the products of 36 that have a unique sum are ruled out.

#57 Mistwalker

Mistwalker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 04:52 AM

It is quite obvious, the children are 1-1-36, now the first man hasn't drunken which is why he can make up this riddle. therefore the reason the # of beers doesn't help is because he is too wasted to count the # of beers he drank

#58 hannahD

hannahD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 12:56 AM

2, 3, 6 gives a unique sum (there are no other 3 numbers giving that sum of 12 and product of 36) which does not fit the said, does it:

2 +3 +6 = 11

#59 hannahD

hannahD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 12:57 AM

It is quite obvious, the children are 1-1-36, now the first man hasn't drunken which is why he can make up this riddle. therefore the reason the # of beers doesn't help is because he is too wasted to count the # of beers he drank

38 beers would kill a man

and thats a huge age difference for kids which makes it less likely

#60 egwenejs

egwenejs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 05:52 AM

I disagree with the posted solution. Here is why.
Spoiler for Why I disagree.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users