Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 brhan

brhan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 05:30 PM

What is the expected number of times a fair die must be thrown until all scores appear at least once?

#2 GIJeff

GIJeff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 06:15 PM

What is the expected number of times a fair die must be thrown until all scores appear at least once?

Spoiler for My take

#3 PolishNorbi

PolishNorbi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 06:49 PM

Well appear is a tricky word, because all the numbers except for one will appear.
Spoiler for My Solution

#4 cpotting

cpotting

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 07:08 PM

It seems to me that the number of sides is irrelevant, as is whether or not you look at the only the top number, or all faces visible. The answer is always the same: infinite.

The problem asks

At the start of any tossing, there is an infinitesmal chance that one side will not turn up. For example, with a 6-sided die - assuming that we are looking at all possible faces, it is possible that "5" will not show after 1 throw (chances are 1:6). For 2 throws the chances are 1:36. For 3 throws, 1:216.. ad nauseum... For my 1,204,575,475th try, the chances are really slim, but not 0.

No matter how many times I plan to toss the die, I cannot guarantee that at least one face will not always be stubborn and be face down. So the answer is to "how many times to do you have to toss a die to see all the faces" is infinite.

#5 cpotting

cpotting

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 07:11 PM

It seems to me that the number of sides is irrelevant, as is whether or not you look at the only the top number, or all faces visible. The answer is always the same: infinite.

The exception to this would be a Mobius strip with the a number written on it! In that case the answer is 1 throw.

#6 brhan

brhan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 07:16 PM

Just a clarification to my question.

The die has of course 6 faces ... and when I say visible, I mean the top one.

By fair-die I mean all the numbers have equal probability of appearing on the top face.

I am asking for the expected number of throwing the die so that all the numbers (1-6) will appear (top face) at least once.

#7 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5629 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 08:13 PM

Spoiler for What expectation means...
Spoiler for Here's how you calculate it

The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#8 Jkyle1980

Jkyle1980

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 09:04 PM

I do see a problem here...

I haven't taken you to Vegas yet.

#9 PolishNorbi

PolishNorbi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 11:27 PM

Thanks for posting that, It was exactly what i was thinking. I deleted what I was going to post when the sides were unknown and I didn't want to take the time to figure out a formula while at work.

#10 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5629 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 11:54 PM

Thanks for posting that, It was exactly what i was thinking. I deleted what I was going to post when the sides were unknown and I didn't want to take the time to figure out a formula while at work.

Ha! One of the benefits of being retired. B))
The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users