BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Can you find the explanation for the following?

Snoop and Watson had just enjoyed an excellent meal (chips in a basket) in their favourite restaurant (the Goat and Compasses). Having partaken liberally, not to say magnificently, of beers, wines and spirits with their gourmet fare (or fayre, as the establishment had it), they decided to round off the occasion with a cup of black coffee each.

"I say, Snoop," said Watson when Snoop, after stirring it, began to sip his coffee with the air of one unused to enjoying such sobering refreshments, "isn't that a pair of bluebottles in your cup?"

Snoop spluttered, discharging a fine mist of coffee into various parts of the neighbourhood. "Not a pair, Watson," he then pronounced, "but a single - not to say singularly large specimen of bluebottlia restauratis. Waiter!"

Snoop explained the situation to the waiter and (having got through the obligatory rigmarole about everyone wanting one) his cup was removed and a new one brought, minus fly.

It was definitely a different cup, and certainly free of fauna, but on taking a sip, Snoop spluttered again. "Pah!" he said, "this is the same coffee I had before - only the cup has been changed!"

"How do you know?" asked Watson, "is it cold?"

"It doesn't seem any colder than it was before," replied Snoop, "but it's definitely the same coffee."

"How can you be so sure?" Watson goggled, "after all, cheap coffee's cheap coffee."

"Ah, but there is one thing you've forgotten..." began Snoop.

What had Watson forgotten, and how could Snoop be so sure it was the same coffee in a different cup?

7 answers to this question

Can you find the explanation for the following?

Snoop and Watson had just enjoyed an excellent meal (chips in a basket) in their favourite restaurant (the Goat and Compasses). Having partaken liberally, not to say magnificently, of beers, wines and spirits with their gourmet fare (or fayre, as the establishment had it), they decided to round off the occasion with a cup of black coffee each.

"I say, Snoop," said Watson when Snoop, after stirring it, began to sip his coffee with the air of one unused to enjoying such sobering refreshments, "isn't that a pair of bluebottles in your cup?"

Snoop spluttered, discharging a fine mist of coffee into various parts of the neighbourhood. "Not a pair, Watson," he then pronounced, "but a single - not to say singularly large specimen of bluebottlia restauratis. Waiter!"

Snoop explained the situation to the waiter and (having got through the obligatory rigmarole about everyone wanting one) his cup was removed and a new one brought, minus fly.

It was definitely a different cup, and certainly free of fauna, but on taking a sip, Snoop spluttered again. "Pah!" he said, "this is the same coffee I had before - only the cup has been changed!"

"How do you know?" asked Watson, "is it cold?"

"It doesn't seem any colder than it was before," replied Snoop, "but it's definitely the same coffee."

"How can you be so sure?" Watson goggled, "after all, cheap coffee's cheap coffee."

"Ah, but there is one thing you've forgotten..." began Snoop.

What had Watson forgotten, and how could Snoop be so sure it was the same coffee in a different cup?

I'm going to say that since he was stirring his coffee, and he wasn't used to such sobering refreshments, that he had mixed something into his coffee (like cream and/or sugar), and so he could tell it was still his coffee when he got it back...

Edited by Pickett

I'm going to say that since he was stirring his coffee, and he wasn't used to such sobering refreshments, that he had mixed something into his coffee (like cream and/or sugar), and so he could tell it was still his coffee when he got it back...

the waiter did take the fly out.

the coffee had already sugar in it.