BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

16 answers to this question

Not sure how to phrase it using math so I'll try using just English. In addition to being true equations, the digits to the left of the slash must be the same as the digits to the right. This is true for the 3 example equations but the false equation has a '1' to the right of the slash that isn't on the left side.

The following are true:

126/21=6

153/51=3

688/8=86

You can check all those on your calculator.

But this is false:

270/27=10

What's the rule?

well if you remove the equal sign, the digits on both sides of the divide sign must be the same. for example in the first one there is 126 and 216. The second one has 153 and 513...third has 688 and 886.

However the false one has an extra "1". So its comparing 270 and 2710 which is false.

well if you remove the equal sign, the digits on both sides of the divide sign must be the same. for example in the first one there is 126 and 216. The second one has 153 and 513...third has 688 and 886.

However the false one has an extra "1". So its comparing 270 and 2710 which is false.

Ah... much better explanation :)

The divisibility rule of 9. 2+7=9 2+7+0=9, so the answer should be divisible by 9 but it is not? I'm not sure if I explained that properly.

just figured out the right answer, dismiss my answer from above lol. Is it time to get off work yet? :)

The following are true:

126/21=6

153/51=3

688/8=86

But this is false:

270/27=10

What's the rule?

The dividend and the divisor, when combined, must equal the quotient/ contain the same digits as the quotient.

10 has an extra 1

Well just my version of mirroring rule:

Mirrors

126/'6'21= missing here is 6

153/'3'51= missing here is 3

688/8'86'= missing here is 86

So 270/2710 or 270/1027 are not mirror of 270/072.

I'm sure these guys explained it better but I'm just going to give the correct pattern for the last one

270/7=20

No one gave a full explanation; Docta92 is the only one who solved it correctly.

No one gave a full explanation; Docta92 is the only one who solved it correctly.

Actually, the OP never asked for a solution to the equation. It asked for the rule.

"270/7=20", though following the same pattern as the 3 examples, it deviates from the original examples in that they were actually true equations as well as following a pattern. So what is the rule?

The following are true:

126/21=6

153/51=3

688/8=86

But this is false:

270/27=10

What's the rule?

The equation must be mathematically correct, and the digits must balance in any order on either side of the slash.

Edited by Phatfingers