BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Sorry this took a while. Had the idea all along, was just lazy to type out the story.

The companions entered a well-lit hall, with three arched doorways, all locked except two, the one they came in from and the one opposite that. There was also a small wooden door in one of the corners. Clavius opened the wooden door to discover a small stash of dried food and water. Lee and Jeanne who took a peek into the other two entrances

"Looks like we're going to be here for a while guys," Clavius said as he held up a loaf of bread. Everyone groaned. Feeling hungry, they sat down, had lunch, and discussed their circumstances. If rationed, the food will last them for about 2 weeks. They had no idea what had happened to them but all five agreed that they had to work together to figure out a way out.

After eating, the companions headed to the room opposite to the one they came from and started looking around. The room was of the same design as the previous one, but there were 6 computer terminals in the room. There was a larger terminal in the middle, surrounding in a circular pattern by the other 5. They tried accessing the terminals. The screens of the surrounding terminals flared to life.

"Ah! There is internet connection! Let's try contacting someone!" Jeanne exclaimed. She tried sending out emails or logging on to instant messaging services, but they were all blocked. She looked around. Everyone had the same disappointed look on their faces.

"Now what?" asked Dave. His question was answered when the screen of the middle computer lit up, bearing the following message;

Welcome fellow friends. We welcome you to the Labyrinth. We are sorry for the ... way we had to bring you here. We can't have you knowing where you are or what is happening - that will take the suspense out of this ... experiment, no? You will know the reason behind this when you find your way out.

Well, enough small talk. Here is the second piece of the puzzle you have to solve. We bid you good luck and we look forward to seeing you, if you don't get lost in translation before that.

R = P, T = Y, Y = F

Yd. t.f frg b..e co ucp.v

Bquymtdwttvepmu?

Experimental Log - E-029

12-15-2008: Putting DNA into the heart of Vire gave rise to an enigma. It proved troublesome.

12-21-2008: We still can't solve it. Julius will be back from vacation in a week. Maybe he will have an idea.

12-27-2008: Julius said he had an idea. We are waiting patiently. Let's hope this gets solved before New Year's.

12-29-2008: He did it!

12-30-2008: Experiment was completed successfully. Moving on to phase 2 trials next year.

*PRESS ANY KEY TO CONTINUE*

"Is this some sick joke?" groaned Lee.

"I don't know but looks like we are their white mice, whoever they are. Might as well play along," replied Dave. "Someone hit the keyboard."

Clavius who was closest to the terminal pressed enter.

*PASSWORD:

"Password?" Jeanne raised her eyebrows.

What would you do?

I would be tempted to smash the computer in frustration. :P

But seriously...I'm stumped, for now. The experimental log must have something to do with it (or else it wouldn't be there), but I have no idea what. Perhaps the other clues need to be solved first before it makes sense.

It seems to be a cryptogram, of sorts, but I'm not sure about all the periods in clue 2.

So basically, I have no idea. I'll keep working on it though.

Hey all, new here.

Im thinking, maybe the letters have to be put into decimal/hex/octand then something made to them. Maybe an ascii table could help : Ascii table

This might explain the computers

Yes, computers are important. But not an Ascii table. The key is deciphering the first clue.

Ok, I've been thinking for some time now.

I'd say clue 2 and 3 aren't anagrams - not enough vowels.

Therefore,I guess it's probably coded.

@rossbeemer -

maybe the periods are a letter, nothing more.

Id guess the periods would be either vowels since they appear so much.

Anyone having any luck with this?

Also, i think that

Well, enough small talk. Here is the second piece of the puzzle you have to solve. We bid you good luck and we look forward to seeing you, if you don't get lost in translation before that.

might possibly be a clue.

gotta look into labyrinths. was thinking maybe

Sphynx's, due to small talk. this howevermay possibly be far fetched. The "we" might be an answer.

p.s. how do i add spoilers easily? any buttons? or do i have to keep writing the tags?

Edited by gianfun

Ok, I've been thinking for some time now.

I'd say clue 2 and 3 aren't anagrams - not enough vowels.

Therefore,I guess it's probably coded.

@rossbeemer -

maybe the periods are a letter, nothing more.

Id guess the periods would be either vowels since they appear so much.

Anyone having any luck with this?

Also, i think that

might possibly be a clue.

gotta look into labyrinths. was thinking maybe

Sphynx's, due to small talk. this howevermay possibly be far fetched. The "we" might be an answer.

p.s. how do i add spoilers easily? any buttons? or do i have to keep writing the tags?

This is just a continuation of the puzzle before this. You can solve this one without looking back though.

To add spoilers easily just type the following without the period in between [.spoiler=Yadda]Text goes here[./spoiler].

You are right. There are no anagrams in this one.

;)

Ok. I am assuming that

Is a key. It is some kind of formula thing that will eventually solve out the entire alphabet. I'm thinking that you can decode clues 2 and 3 with that. Now, about the periods, maybe a single period is an indication of the end of a word, with a double period indicating the end of a sentence. Am I completely off, scsw?

Ok. I am assuming that
Is a key. It is some kind of formula thing that will eventually solve out the entire alphabet. I'm thinking that you can decode clues 2 and 3 with that. Now, about the periods, maybe a single period is an indication of the end of a word, with a double period indicating the end of a sentence. Am I completely off, scsw?

Never thought of that, but will keep it in mind and slot it in sometime in the future. You are right - it is a key and you need it to solve out the alphabet. But, the period's not indicative of that.

Side note: The computers are there for a reason.

hmmm.

Keyboards? or Computers?

Case of keyboard, the next letter that would be deciphered would be 'U', since its RTY then U(like they are on the keyboard)

"But, the period's not indicative of that." --> that = end of sentences/words?

Keyboards? or Computers?

just noticed clue 2 and 3 have same number of letters. is that a coincidence?

Edited by gianfun

hmmm.

Keyboards? or Computers?

Case of keyboard, the next letter that would be deciphered would be 'U', since its RTY then U(like they are on the keyboard)

"But, the period's not indicative of that." --> that = end of sentences/words?

Keyboards? or Computers?

just noticed clue 2 and 3 have same number of letters. is that a coincidence?

Yes. The keyboard is involved. But how?

;)

Clue 2 and 3 having the same number of letters is a coincidence.

Oh yeah!!

How come I took so long to find this out... well, I am kinda slow with obvious things...

translates to

the key you need is fire.

You need keyboard layouts, specifically QWERTY and DVORAK (the most famous ones)

Gonna get a match to burn my pc, see if that gives me the key MUAHAUHAU

clue 3 however...

Oh yeah!!

How come I took so long to find this out... well, I am kinda slow with obvious things...

translates to

the key you need is fire.

You need keyboard layouts, specifically QWERTY and DVORAK (the most famous ones)

Gonna get a match to burn my pc, see if that gives me the key MUAHAUHAU

clue 3 however...

GJ. Now;

Needs to be worked at the same time as Clue 4. Good luck.

oh damn...

things I've found:

Clue 3 = same number of words in first sentence of clue 4

coincidence? probably

I'd guess PC's are once again going to be used for something...

some kind of cryptogram again? Do i need to change from DVORAK to QWERTY again?

Prolly not. Did it and couldn't find anything clear.

scsw, please give me a gentle puch towards some direction.

enfasis on gentle

Oh, btw, do u have the next episode already cooking in ur mind? if not, please start thinking bout it. ;)

oh damn...

things I've found:

Clue 3 = same number of words in first sentence of clue 4

coincidence? probably

I'd guess PC's are once again going to be used for something...

some kind of cryptogram again? Do i need to change from DVORAK to QWERTY again?

Prolly not. Did it and couldn't find anything clear.

scsw, please give me a gentle push towards some direction.

emphasis on gentle

Oh, btw, do u have the next episode already cooking in ur mind? if not, please start thinking bout it. ;)

That's also a coincidence.

Yes it's another cryptogram. There is no DVORAK to QWERTY anymore. Clue 4 alludes to a few things, the first of which is required to solved Clue 3. It uses a play of words. Good luck.

;)

That's also a coincidence.

Yes it's another cryptogram. There is no DVORAK to QWERTY anymore. Clue 4 alludes to a few things, the first of which is required to solved Clue 3. It uses a play of words. Good luck.

;)

Should we be using "fire" now? Of Vire sounds like fire.

Edited by IDoNotExist

yeah, i thought that too.

Even searched "Heart of Vire"

First search came up with "Heart of Fire", an item from WoW

Maybe the answer is to Play WoW on the computers there!!!!

lol

Well, lets get to it

lol

Well, lets get to it

Do you think that there is a significance to the number of computers and their arrangement? Five in a circle surrounding one?

lol

Well, lets get to it

Edit:Whilst "getting to it":

i decided to search "Heart of Fire" and Julius

Seems that the Castlevania series has a song or something called "Heart of fire", and Julius is a guy who killed dracula...

scsw, its another coincidence right?

Okaym sorry for 2x post.... can't edit yet...

And i refuse to fill the forum with useless messages just to do that...

could an admin delete the first msg plz

E-029. Maybe that is indicating "E"'s place in the alphabet. It should be at 31 (if your looping back around the alphabet), so maybe it's saying that you move each letter back?!?!? Well, that's all I got this time, probably nothing important, but I really like this riddle.

I don't like castlevania.

;)

E-029 is just to throw you off track :P

*prod at the right direction* Let's see, Clue 4, first sentence, is a cryptic clue. You need to substitute something and move the words around. You will then see the encryption I used and the key will come in. Good luck!

EDIT: typo

Edited by scsw

Hummm

im either COMPLETELY OFF TRACK wth castlevania (which i Most probably am)

or scsw really likes castlevania :D

Ok, im gonna look at colorclown's idea...

haha... I tried my code out though, and it does not seem to be working as I had hoped... unless yoswkr (i stopped after that) is going to be the secret to their survival, I think I have to take a new spin on this....

Oh I'll have to try that out, but American Idol beckons.... (and some carrot cake:P)

Edit: Saw different post. ;)

Edited by colorclown26

damn... wasn't loged in so my answer wasn't posted ....

@colorclown

Lol,tried ur idea too,but didnt see anything readable in the first 5 letters...

@scsw

I kinda figured there was something "strange" in the first line,

like in puzzle 1

"Bond with your professor" and "dont stare at it at the face"

with some hidden meaning...

gonna go and decipher it

damn... wasn't loged in so my answer wasn't posted ....

@colorclown

Lol,tried ur idea too,but didnt see anything readable in the first 5 letters...

@scsw

I kinda figured there was something "strange" in the first line,

like in puzzle 1

"Bond with your professor" and "dont stare at it at the face"

with some hidden meaning...

gonna go and decipher it

Does INVADER have anything to do with anything?

Does INVADER have anything to do with anything?

Invader? Nope. What gianfun quoted was from the previous chapter and you don't need that to solve this.

I'll post up another hint soon.

I'll post up another hint soon.

Invader? Nope. What gianfun quoted was from the previous chapter and you don't need that to solve this.

I was thining of that because Vire+DNA anagrams to Invader. Guess that was incorrect. Still trying hard to figure this out. If you want to nudge us along a little more, than that would be welcomed.