BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

I'm not sure if this has been posted before. I searched and found nothing. Btw this is not my own, and it is, I think, easy....

Lieutenant Frank and the boys were exchanging old war stories. Bob decided to contribute and offered the story of how his grandfather fought in World War I, and how he led his troops against a German division. Through his leadership and excellent battle tactics, Bob's grandfather was able to defeat the Germans and gain territory. He was later presented with a war medal that was inscribed with "To Captain Fred for Bravery and Leadership. World War I. From the Men of Division 6." Lieutenant Frank looked at Bob and said "You don't expect any of us to believe that, do you?" Why?

11 answers to this question

IM pretty sure i know why

Why would the medal say WWI they didnt know there would be any more world wars i belive it should have said the great war

Spot on, and I think Bob was lying, just to fit in.....

Edited by runder_1111

the inscribing would have said "To Captain Fred for Bravery and Leadership. World War. From the Men of Division 6" not what you said because they wouldn't know there would be a World War II ^_^

it took me like two seconds

the inscribing would have said "To Captain Fred for Bravery and Leadership. World War. From the Men of Division 6" not what you said because they wouldn't know there would be a World War II ^_^

it took me like two seconds

it actually would have had the year on it not World War

I don't know if we're meant to find all the reasons why the story is unbelievable, or just the obvious one, but here goes anyway:

• - As others have stated already, it was known as the Great War to most of the participants at the time. It certainly would not have been known as WWI to anybody.
    - Medals are normally awarded on behalf of the Head of State, on the recommendation of the military. It would therefore not have an inscription from the men.
    - Unless "Fred" is Bob's grandfather's family name, it is disrespectful for anyone to refer to him as "Captain Fred," especially if they are subordinate.
    - Nobody in the army would ever refer to the 6th Division as "Division 6."
    - Finally, nobody would ever believe that a division was commanded by a captain.

I only found the obvious answer that everyone posted and Fred is not a last name, unless that was a typo he still would have been called captain Frank from his first name and as d3k3 pointed out that is disrespectful