BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

"Alphabet Million" (lemonymelon's topic, I believe) got me thinking...

Using the same method- "give every letter in the alphabet a number eg a=1 b=2 c=3 and so forth; then give words values by multiplying the numbers of their letters"- what is the largest value you can find for a 3 letter word, and the smallest you can get from a 6 letter word?

I have two words in mind, but I wonder if anyone can find better ones.

Also, what is the longest word with the smallest value (say, under 500 or under 1000), if you can even find it?

Not really a riddle... I just wonder what people can come up with. :)

It depends which dictionaries you use, I imagine. My guesses based on words you can use in Scrabble ...

Short word: Zzz

Long word: Banana

Changing my long word ...

Cabala = 72

If all Scrabble words are legal, then I'll go with "ZZZ" for the biggest 3-letter word (17,576). Yes, it's a word in scrabble.

Smallest 6-letter word...I had "BANANA" for 392 but then there's "CABANA," which is only 84. Smaller yet is "CABALA," which is worth only 72.

For 7-letter words, "ACACIAS" comes in at 1539, but "CABALAS" is only worth 1368, which is the smallest I can see by a long shot.

Longest word I found worth less than 1000 points is only 5 letters, "BABAS," worth 76 points.

Anyone else?

YUP--

25 * 21 * 16

colloquial, but I think it's in the dictionary.

Using the same method- "give every letter in the alphabet a number eg a=1 b=2 c=3 and so forth; then give words values by multiplying the numbers of their letters"- what is the largest value you can find for a 3 letter word, and the smallest you can get from a 6 letter word?

Also, what is the longest word with the smallest value (say, under 500 or under 1000), if you can even find it?

the highest scoring, normal-sounding word that isn't antidisestablishmentarianism --

untrustworthiness - 190,858,741,899,034,000,000

Also, antidisestablishmentarianism = 9,866,462,815,256,950,000,000,000

(Sorry, also off topic)What about pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis? I bet that's pretty big too. I'm not going to multiply it out though.

And yes, that is a word, google it if you don't believe me.

Edited by Frost

(Sorry, also off topic)What about pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis? I bet that's pretty big too. I'm not going to multiply it out though.

And yes, that is a word, google it if you don't believe me.

pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis would be 1,752,294,716,754,400,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

Question --which would make me more of a geek :

1 - Multiplying that out by hand just to see the answer

2 - admitting that I wrote some visual basic code to do the multiplying for me

It's a "proper" word, but it came to mind, Phil Collins has a song called "Abacab", score a whopping TWELVE points.

Also a proper word, is my favorite brand of Distilled Russian Happy, "Zyr", scoring in at 11,700

Edited by Gushi