BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

1592, Rialto Bridge, Venice, Italy;

A juggler bought two oranges. He went home and came to a bridge with a warning sign "Only support 60.4 kg". He weighs 60kg (with all of his clothes and stuffs without the oranges) and the oranges each weighs 0.5kg. He did not want to leave one orange back and did not want to use a boat. He had only the key of his mansion, two oranges and a quite long rope.

Can you help him to go across the bridge in just one time?

try to figure it out yourself!

:duh:

Edited by det

This is easy.

He juggles the oranges so olny one is weighing on the bridge at a time.

But I have a question why does a juggler own a mansion?

60+0,5=60,5 > 60,4 (limit)

Why does the bridge have so small carrying capacity? Who did determine this capacity and how?

This is just a riddle. (He is a lucky juggler.)

Edited by det

Just walk across the bridge, it will hold him!

The maximum weight limit of a bridge is usually posted much lower than it actually is.

I said already this is just a riddle; assume that the bridge has exactly 60.4 kg carrying capacity.

By the way if you have problem with this I can give the statically indeterminate structure, with cross-sections, connections etc; the characteristic values the density, strength of the materials, soil.. the details of the foundation, the distribution function of the effects and supported by the probability theory you can calculate the characteristic load carrying capacity, or you can just accept the unrealistic conditions of the riddle.

Edited by det

Tie the oranges to the end of the rope.

Drop the oranges.

Play out the rope as you walk across the bridge.

When you gt to the other side, drage the badly scraped oranges over the bridge.

Anyone who knows better please correct me.

I think in Venice most bridges are pretty low to the water. So maybe he could tie the oranges to the rope and float them across. Thus he would not have the weight of the oranges and a portion of the rope as well.

Tie the oranges to the end of the rope.

Drop the oranges.

Play out the rope as you walk across the bridge.

When you gt to the other side, drage the badly scraped oranges over the bridge.

Nice idea, however.. check the Rialto Bridge!

I said already this is just a riddle; assume that the bridge has exactly 60.4 kg carrying capacity.

By the way if you have problem with this I can give the statically indeterminate structure, with cross-sections, connections etc; the characteristic values the density, strength of the materials, soil.. the details of the foundation, the distribution function of the effects and supported by the probability theory you can calculate the characteristic load carrying capacity, or you can just accept the unrealistic conditions of the riddle.

Hey, man. Don't get so worked up over it. I was half-serious about my answer. This IS supposed to be a riddle, right?

Anyone who knows better please correct me.

I think in Venice most bridges are pretty low to the water. So maybe he could tie the oranges to the rope and float them across. Thus he would not have the weight of the oranges and a portion of the rope as well.

Yes, you are right.

I checked the pictures of that bridge, you can not float the oranges and cross the bridge at the same time, because columns of the bridge are so wide.

But what he can do is: Tie the oranges to the one end, tie the key to the other end. Throw the key to the other side over the river, place the oranges right next the river.

Cross the bridge and pull the rope, now he can drag the oranges over the river without any obstacles.

I checked the pictures of that bridge, you can not float the oranges and cross the bridge at the same time, because columns of the bridge are so wide.

But what he can do is: Tie the oranges to the one end, tie the key to the other end. Throw the key to the other side over the river, place the oranges right next the river.

Cross the bridge and pull the rope, now he can drag the oranges over the river without any obstacles.

I don't see (and didn't see when I was in Venice) any obstacles. Maybe you have to check the pictures again. Try this one. There are three pedestrian ways on the bridge and between the ways are shops.

But of course your solution is good as well.

Edited by det

Chisel a stone out from the bridge using the key and throw it into the water. This should remove at least 0.6 kg, allowing you to walk across the bridge with both oranges in hand. Just make sure it is not a load bearing stone.