BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Hi all, I'm posting these ciphers because I've spent a few hours gnawing on them without any progress.

The first puzzle consists of these three lines of numbers:

I'm guessing that the final string of letters is probably a multiple of three, but that's all I've got.

Note: this first puzzle was posted on this forum last year in this thread: however, it remained unsolved.

The second puzzle is IMO, harder, as it is just a string of letters:

efsbqfsqupofsbvpz

It's not a regular cryptogram, that's for sure. The letter frequency is strange, but that's as far as I've gotten, which is why I'm asking for help!

A few friendly pointers, or an outright solution would be most appreciated.

7 answers to this question

The solution is to replace every letter with the letter before it alphabetically and then read the message backwards: so efsbqfsqupofsbvpz becomes deraperptonerauoy and then revesed it says, "you are not prepared"

The solution is to replace every letter with the letter before it alphabetically and then read the message backwards: so efsbqfsqupofsbvpz becomes deraperptonerauoy and then revesed it says, "you are not prepared"

Very nicely done. Would you mind describing your approach/thought process when solving this cryptogram?

I wish I could say that I had some ingenious methodology, but in reality I just looked at it as a possible letter substitution/shift, saw that a shift of 1 gave a good constant to vowel ratio and then realized that there were words spelled backwards as I was decrypting.

Basically, I got lucky :rolleyes: