BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

There was a contest to see which person could guess how much money was in a box. only 1 person knew the correct answer, $300000. When Shady double checked, he said there were only $24310 dollars, a detective was called on to see that he was lying or not.

When Shady was called on, he stated that he counted it for 2 straight. he said "i couldn't be off by 280000 dollars!"

the detective said, "My suspicions are correct."

Why was the detective suspicious?

16 answers to this question

There was a contest to see which person could guess how much money was in a box. only 1 person knew the correct answer, $300000. When Shady double checked, he said there were only $24310 dollars, a detective was called on to see that he was lying or not.

When Shady was called on, he stated that he counted it for 2 straight. he said "i couldn't be off by 280000 dollars!"

Shady should not have known the correct answer, but he knew how far off he was.

Maybe the detective was the only one who knew the correct answer. Shady is a bit shady anyway.

Question: Why is there a detective investigating a guessing contest to see if they're lying? <_<

...When Shady was called on, he stated that he counted it for 2 straight. he said "i couldn't be off by 280000 dollars!"

What does this phrase mean? Does it mean $2000?

shady could not have counted all the money twice beforehand because, averaging 1 per second, it would have taken him over 3 days to count it all!! (approximately 3.472222222... days)

Edited by jesusfreak1024

shady could not have counted all the money twice beforehand because, averaging 1 per second, it would have taken him over 3 days to count it all!! (approximately 3.472222222... days)

The money could easily be counted in under an hour if it was comprised mostly of 100 dollar bills. Or even less if we take into account the elusive discontinued 500 1,000 5,000 or 10,000 dollar bills.

The money could easily be counted in under an hour if it was comprised mostly of 100 dollar bills. Or even less if we take into account the elusive discontinued 500 1,000 5,000 or 10,000 dollar bills.

true, but usually the question is posed as "there were x $1 dollar bills in a box", making it impossible to count them twice a day beforehand.

input from ent474 would be nice... :mellow:

true, but usually the question is posed as "there were x $1 dollar bills in a box", making it impossible to count them twice a day beforehand.

input from ent474 would be nice... :mellow:

This is probably what was intended - i think the original post(s) got muddled up, However there is no mention of the notes/bills in any particular denomination or date of guess., which may include larger bills/notes.

If a condition is that they are $1 bills, then first i must say that is a pretty big box. Secondly, he could have easily used a money counting machine, some count at about 1500 bills per minute(i know this is some lateral thinking, but just trying to think outside the box, no pun intended). Or they were still grouped in paper from the bank into groups of ten thousand or more.

Also due to the conditions set forth, shady must be the original person. Because only 1 person knows how much is in there, and shady appears to know, so it must be him. Due to this, I can't see any real proof of foul play

Some input from original poster would be appreciated.

The question says WHY was the detective suspicious, well the answer to that would be because the money was missing.

But how would he know if money was missing? There was only one person that knew how much money was in the box

Modifications

It comprised of all $1 bills.

1 person knew the answer (it was not any of the people in the story).

the person who knew sweared not to tell it

Shady was not the person who knew it