BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

A guy has got locked in a cave where there is a well & only two pots whose capacity is EXACTLY 7 LTS & 5LTS.to get out of the cave he has to place exavctly 6lts(not in a new pot) on a pan so that it opens,no silly answers,there is a logic & related to maths i think,i dont know the answer,so pls help me?

12 answers to this question

First fill the 7ltr pot and transfer water to the 5ltr pot. now 7ltr pot has 2ltr water. spill the water of 5ltr pot and fill it with water of 7ltr pot. now 5ltr pot has 2ltr water. again fill 7ltr pot and transfer water to the 5ltr pot. now 7ltr pot has (7-(5-2))=4ltr water. spill the water of 5ltr pot and fill it with water of 7ltr pot. now 5ltr pot has 4ltr water. again fill the 7ltr pot and transfer water to the 5ltr pot. you got it. 6ltr water in the 7ltr pot (7-(5-4))=6ltr. :thumbsup:

1) Fill the 7 litre pot

2) Pour the 7 litre pot into the 5 litre pot

3) Empty the 5 litre pot

4) Pour the 7l pot into the 5l pot

At this point, the 5litre pot has 2 litres of water in it. The 7l is empty.

5) Refill the 7l pot, and use it to fill the 5l pot.

Because the 5l pot had 2l of water in it, it was only able to take 3 more litres. The 5 litre pot is full, and the 7l pot has 4 litres in it.

6) Now empty the 5l pot, and fill it with the 4l from the 7.

7) Fill the 7 again, and you will be able to pour exactly 1 litre into the 5l pot before it fills, leaving you with 6 litres in the 7l pot.

another answer is-

Fill the 5LT pot and pour it into the 7LT pot. Fill the 5LT pot again and fill the 7LT pot. This would leave you 3Lt in the 5LT pot. Empty the 7LT pot and pour the 3LT from the 5LT pot into the 7LT pot. Fill the 5LT pot again and fill the 7LT pot. This would take 4Lt leaving you 1LT in the 5Lt pot. Empty the 7LT pot and pour the 1LT into it. File the 5Lt pot and pour into the 7LT pot and you have 6LT.

A guy has got locked in a cave where there is a well & only two pots whose capacity is EXACTLY 7 LTS & 5LTS.to get out of the cave he has to place exavctly 6lts(not in a new pot) on a pan so that it opens,no silly answers,there is a logic & related to maths i think,i dont know the answer,so pls help me?

Fill the 7Ltr pot first and pour it to 5 ltr , and empty the 5 ltr one. Pour the 2L in the 7Ltr pot to the 5Ltr pot. Fill the 7Ltr again and por it to 5Ltr one and empty the 5Ltr pot. Now you will be having 4 Ltr in 5Ltr pot.Fill 7 Ltr again and pour it to 5Ltr pot to make it full. Now you have 6Lt in your 7Ltr pot :)

first take 7 liters of water from using 7 lit pot then pour it into 5 lit pot now u will be end up with 2lit in 7 lit pot . now pour that 2 lit on pan . now pour 7lit again in 7 lit pot again pour it into 5 lit pot which is alredy containing 2 lit (take 2 lit by using above process and pour it in 5 lit pot) now u will be end up with 4 lit in ur 7lit pot after pouring it into 5 lit pot which is already containing 2 lit now pour that 4 li on pan now pan is consisting 2+4=6lit

Left is 7 lt and right is 5 lt pot (Below is the amount of water in each step)

0 - 5

5 - 0

5 - 5

7 - 3

0 - 3

3 - 0

3 - 5

7 - 1

0 - 1

1 - 0

1 - 5

6 - 0

Use the 6 lit and get the hell out of the cave...

A

hey guys use spoilers please.

1) fill 7L pot

2) pour 7L pot into 5L pot until full

3) dump 5L pot

4) pour remainder into 5L pot

repeat

repeat steps 1,2 again (3rd time).

at end 7L pot will have 6L of water

end of cycle 1 state: 7L - 0L, 5L - 2L

end of cycle 2 state: 7L - 0L, 5L - 4L

end of cycle 3 state: 7L - 6L, 5L - 5L

Well the easiest way to do it with the least amount of transfers really makes much more sense. Ok, heres what you do.

1) Fill 5 Lt pot and then pour it into 7 Lt pot. This will leave you with an empty 5 Lt pot and an almost full 7 Lt. pot.

2) Fill 5 Lt pot once again and pour into 7 Lt. pot that was almost full. This will leave you with 3 Lt. in your 5 Lt. pot.

3) Pour the 5 Lt. pot that now contains 3 Lts. into the pan.

4) Repeat steps 1-3 again and it will have 6 Lts in the pan and your door will open. FREEDOM!!!

I will type the amount in each pot after pouring/filling. The number to the left will be the amount of water in the 7 liter pot (pot A) , and the number on the right will be the amount of water in the 5 liter pot (pot B) .

fill -- 7 0

pour from A to B -- 2 5

dump A -- 0 5

pour from B to A -- 5 0

fill B -- 5 5

pour from B to A -- 7 3

dump A -- 0 3

pour from B to A -- 3 0

fill B -- 3 5

pour from B to A -- 7 1

dump A -- 0 1

pour from B to A -- 1 0

fill B - 1 5

pour from B to A -- 6 0

The pot with the capacity of 7 liters now has 6 liters of water.