BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

If in each corner of a square room ther was a monkey and you asked a monkey how many monkeys it was looking at how many monkeys would it say?

For the sake of this riddle just imagine that the monkey can talk.

Actually imagine would apply, and should not be misleading. Imagine is define as "to form a mental image of something that is not present or that is not the case." Since the monkeys in a square room is most likely imaginary, saying that "for the sake of the riddle, imagine the monkey can talk" would apply. So the answer would be whatever number the monkey wanted to say. You simply misused the word imaginary. Not trying to be mean, just wanted to point it out.

I have read through this, though I have an alternate answer entirely.

We are assuming that it's a square room, and the monkey you are asking can talk and is intelligent enough to count. My guess is that the monkey would say, "Help, get me out of this 2D space, I feel like a pancake!"

The Monkey will reply with "0". Yes ZERO. Coz it is talking with you, means it is watching you. if you are monkey then only the ans will be one else it's ZERO..

If the monkey is trained, it will understand your question. There were many scientific experiments that proove the human-animal communication abilities of large mammals. Unfortunately whatever the monkey tries to answer, we will not understand the answer as we (the humans) still aren't able to recognise the "language" of other animals.

Even if you assume monkeys can talk can you assume they can count? I think the monkey would say 4. There are no handholds for the upper corners so I assume there are not monkey's there. That leaves the three monkeys in the corners of the room and you (monkey can't distinguish between monkey and human).

I agree. As agile as they are, a monkey is not a gecko (lizard with anti-gravity grip) or a flying insect like a butterfly.

how do i make the riddle say solved?

Topic starters can mark their new threads as solved if solution is posted. Follow these guidelines.

Riddle/Puzzle authors (or generally topic starters) may choose to show that their riddle/puzzle has been solved by changing it from a regular thread into a poll.

1. After an acceptable solution has been posted, the topic starter posts a reply to confirm that the answer is correct (giving credits to solver/solvers, pointing to their posts and providing further explanation if needed). Before adding reply, the topic starter can first copy the hyperlink address - URL - to the post with the correct answer by clicking its number in the upper right corner of the post (eg. clicking on "#2" if that post includes the solution).

2. When topic starter is writing reply ("Add reply"), he/she can click the option at the top of the editor: "Click here to manage this topic’s poll".

3. The poll does not need to have a title, but the topic starter will need to click "Add Poll Question" and type something in the box "Poll Content" (eg. "Solved").

4. Topic starter then needs to click "Add Poll Choice" and type something in the box that appears (like "Solved by plasmid in post #23" - tags can be used to point directly to the post with solution.) You can get a hyperlink address - URL - to the post with the correct answer by clicking its number in the upper right corner. You might want to copy the URL before you "Add Reply" so that you just paste it in this step. Then use that hyperlink in url tags like so:

{url=http://brainden.com/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=9215&view=findpost&p=178754}this post{/url} ... replace {} for []

5. Topic starter needs to enter the regular text for a reply posting as well.

6. Click the button "Add Reply" in the full editor and that's it ;)