BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

like if a shopkeeper removes link from 1 , 2 , 3 n say 4 so he has 4 totally separated links so if someone comes and ask for 1 link he can give, if someone comes for 2 links he can give similarly for 3 and 4 but for 5 he can't as he has removed only 4 links.

now use your head to find the correct locations and correct number of links to be removed.

There is a chain with 100 links in it. These links are numbered from 1 to 100. suppose you are a shopkeeper and you want to sell this chain and its not necessary that the buyer will ask for full chain he can ask for any number of links he want to. Now you have to find out what will be the minimum number of links that the shopkeeper should remove and from which positions so that when buyer comes he should be able to give the exact number of links as he/she demands.

As shopkeeper doesn't know what number buyer will ask so one way is to detach all the links from one another but then it will be maximum number of links you have to find minimum number of links and also give the correct positions.

and yes the links can be attached or separated when he gives it to buyer.

19 answers to this question

leave it as it is !!any number of links can be removed from left and right as per the customer requirements.so minimum and maximum breaks in between the links is 0

leave it as it is !!any number of links can be removed from left and right as per the customer requirements.so minimum and maximum breaks in between the links is 0

nopes you have to be ready before customer enters the shop. becoz u don't know what he will ask so u have to remove some of the links from the chain and by removing i mean totally removing that link from the chain so that it is no more part of the chain. it is now separate and if some one comes for 1 link u can give it directly, it can be from any location not necessarily 1.

The lengths of the chains are 1,3,9,27,60

Places of disconnection are 1,4,13,40

so exactly 4 links the shopkeeper should remove as above..

Edited by parik

think more u will get it.

in this puzzle if you have to remove link then it has to be disconnected from both sides like above if you remove link number 4 then it has to be detached from 3 and 5.

in your solution you will not get many cases like 2 or say 49 cannot be generated if you do not detach it from both sides.

Edited by ibrahim89

If you are able to get 1 to 50 links in a position that if buyer comes and you can give any munber to him then you don't need from 51 to 100 as you can directly add 50 to it, so i will remove link number 50. now i have chain of 1 to 49, 50 alone and 51 to 100.

now if i have aaranged 1 to 25 then i don't need 26 to 49 on same logic as before. similarly from 12 and 6 i will remove the links.

so finally the answer is that i will remove links on the position 6,12,25,50 total of 4 links need to be removed.

:)

like if a shopkeeper removes link from 1 , 2 , 3 n say 4 so he has 4 totally separated links so if someone comes and ask for 1 link he can give, if someone comes for 2 links he can give similarly for 3 and 4 but for 5 he can't as he has removed only 4 links.

now use your head to find the correct locations and correct number of links to be removed.

There is a chain with 100 links in it. These links are numbered from 1 to 100. suppose you are a shopkeeper and you want to sell this chain and its not necessary that the buyer will ask for full chain he can ask for any number of links he want to. Now you have to find out what will be the minimum number of links that the shopkeeper should remove and from which positions so that when buyer comes he should be able to give the exact number of links as he/she demands.

As shopkeeper doesn't know what number buyer will ask so one way is to detach all the links from one another but then it will be maximum number of links you have to find minimum number of links and also give the correct positions.

and yes the links can be attached or separated when he gives it to buyer.

How about if he removes 4,11,24 and 50? So he has 4 single links and one chain each of 3,6,12,25 and 50 links.

Edit: Dang. Too fast on the solution Ibrahim...

Edited by Tuckleton

How about if he removes 4,11,24 and 50? So he has 4 single links and one chain each of 3,6,12,25 and 50 links.

Edit: Dang. Too fast on the solution Ibrahim...

yup i think this one is also right.

Edited by ibrahim89

If you are able to get 1 to 50 links in a position that if buyer comes and you can give any munber to him then you don't need from 51 to 100 as you can directly add 50 to it, so i will remove link number 50. now i have chain of 1 to 49, 50 alone and 51 to 100.

now if i have aaranged 1 to 25 then i don't need 26 to 49 on same logic as before. similarly from 12 and 6 i will remove the links.

so finally the answer is that i will remove links on the position 6,12,25,50 total of 4 links need to be removed.

:)

I don't get this at all. How, for example, can you make 1?

I don't get this at all. How, for example, can you make 1?

ok first of all if some link has to be detached it has to be done from both sides like if I remove 50 then i completely remove 50 from the chain. now its a chain of 1 to 49, 50 alone and 51 to 100. so I have 1 alone that is 50. If someone comes and ask for 1 i will give him this 50th link which i have detached from both sides.

According to me the asnwer is remove the 4 link no. 5, 14, 31, 64, which will give following lengths

4 single links; and lengths 4 rings, 8 rings, 16 rings, 32 rings and 36 rings.

--------------

O

O

O

O

OOOO

OOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

ok first of all if some link has to be detached it has to be done from both sides like if I remove 50 then i completely remove 50 from the chain. now its a chain of 1 to 49, 50 alone and 51 to 100. so I have 1 alone that is 50. If someone comes and ask for 1 i will give him this 50th link which i have detached from both sides.

According to me the asnwer is remove the 4 link no. 5, 14, 31, 64, which will give following lengths

--------------

O

O

O

O

OOOO

OOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

--------------

O

O

O

O

OOOO

OOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

--------------

O

O

O

O

OOOO

OOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

for this question their are many possible asnwers but the thing is what logic did you use to get the answer hit and rial is not what i want and also not some mathematics calculation this is based on very basic logic. so if you can tell what logic you used to get it, that is what i am looking for.

for this question their are many possible asnwers but the thing is what logic did you use to get the answer hit and rial is not what i want and also not some mathematics calculation this is based on very basic logic. so if you can tell what logic you used to get it, that is what i am looking for.

HOW CAN YOU GIVE THE BUYER 2 LINKS IF HE WANTS....

I THINK ITS SOLUTION SHUD BE TO REMOVE THE LINK NO.50,25,12,6,3,2,1

SHUDNT IT BE SO??

the asnwer is

In binary using 1 and 0 we represent all the natural no.s

2^0, 2^1, 2^2, 2^3, 2^4, 2^5.....and so on. which is eqlt to 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32 .....etc

eg to get all no up to 15 [{(2^n)-1} where n=4 in eg] we can use 2^(n-1) ie 2^3

So we can use 1, 2, 4 and 8 to represent all no. from 1 to 15

So for 100 we can have 1,2,4,8,16,32,and 37 (total=100)

Now to make this we can take out link no. 5, 14, 31, and 64

Doing this, will give 4 single links, and 1 length of 4 links, 1 length of 8 links,

1 length of 16 links and 1 length of 32 links and a remaining length 35links