BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

if someone asks you the question: 'what are you doing?' what statement is true no matter where you are?

what burns when its dry and not when its wet?

what color is not a color?

what color is all the colors?

you escaped a prison. if you then jump headlong of the top of the empire state building and nobody saw you, would you be identifiable by the police?

17 answers to this question

1. "I am speaking to you."

2. Leaves? or twigs?

3. White is not a colour, it is a lack of colour

4. Black I think... Not 100% sure seeing how as dark, dark red is pretty much black

5. Sure, they could collect blood samples from the pile of flesh and blood off the building

1. "I am speaking to you."

2. Leaves? or twigs?

3. White is not a colour, it is a lack of colour

4. Black I think... Not 100% sure seeing how as dark, dark red is pretty much black

5. Sure, they could collect blood samples from the pile of flesh and blood off the building

1 yes

2 yes

3 no

4 no

5 yes

Edited by hummm this one's hard

Er...Actually, there are multiple answers available for a few of these.

1. "Something" would work quite well.

2. Most things burn when they're dry. Now, reverse that question and it would be a lot harder.

3. Black is the absence of additive color; it is the presence of all subtractive pigments. Admittedly, it's hard to to that with pigments; frequently, it comes out brownish.

4. White is the reverse: all additive color, but no subtractive pigments.

5. My pet answer for this one is "No". Largely because "nobody saw you". There would be no need of identification if nobody ever saw that you jumped of the ESB. Of course, if you want to look at it technically...no fair.

Edited by AnapesticTetrameter

if someone asks you the question: 'what are you doing?' what statement is true no matter where you are?

I am living

what burns when its dry and not when its wet?

Wood?

what color is not a color?

Black

what color is all the colors?

White

you escaped a prison. if you then jump headlong of the top of the empire state building and nobody saw you, would you be identifiable by the police?

Probably as you would only hit the next floor down….

These may not be the answers for which you are seeking, but I believe they are undeniably correct

1. "Breathing", or "talking to you"

2. Any combustible solid

3. White

4. Black

5. Yes. Check DNA.

Breathing. :)

Wood?

Black

White

Yes because you would most likely still be alive, having jumped from the very top you would land on the next observation floor down.

Edited by Sereni-T

Where to begin,

Question 1: This has almost infinite answers.

Question 2: This one makes no sense. While there are several combustible solids that will burn when wet, some even under water, most things don’t. (you might as well ask “what color is the sky?)

Question 3, speaking of colors: This question is self contradictory. “What color is not a color?” Well, the only answer is “there isn’t one”. Logically if something was a color it could not be “not a color”.

(By the way pigments are not colors even though people tend to think of them that way. Pigments reflect colors.)

Question 4 : This question actually has an answer.

Question 5: This question doesn’t contain enough information to give an intelligent answer. The answer could be yes or no.

Few things to fix bout Q5. If you got to the top of the ESB and nobody saw you, than you're not wearing a prison jumper.Also, you hit the pavement... He fell from the top of the empire state building and hit the pavement like a hefty bag filed with vegetable soup. So those don't work.

Where to begin,

Question 1: This has almost infinite answers.

Question 2: This one makes no sense. While there are several combustible solids that will burn when wet, some even under water, most things don’t. (you might as well ask “what color is the sky?)

Question 3, speaking of colors: This question is self contradictory. “What color is not a color?” Well, the only answer is “there isn’t one”. Logically if something was a color it could not be “not a color”.

(By the way pigments are not colors even though people tend to think of them that way. Pigments reflect colors.)

Question 4 : This question actually has an answer.

Question 5: This question doesn’t contain enough information to give an intelligent answer. The answer could be yes or no.

Question 3 is only self-contradictory if one refuses to cross-perceive. Most people recognize black to be a color, but scientifically speaking, we see the 'color' black because of an absence of any rod or cone stimulation. Hence, black can be both a color and not a color. We have to look at the question from more than one angle, as is the case with virtually any solvable paradox (is that an oxymoron?).

W/ reference to pigments, their reflective properties are usually considered secondary to their absorptive properties. This is because a substance that contains NO pigments will appear white, not black. In other words, we add pigments to things in order to make the 'thing' absorb a certain wavelength of light, rather than reflect it.

On a slightly different note, can anybody explain the difference between dyes and pigments? I can't seem to get that clarified.

Edited by AnapesticTetrameter

1. Breathing

2. Most things burn when they are dry and not wet...

3. Black is the absence of color

4. White reflects all colors simultaneously

5. Yes, either by id in my pocket or dental records

Edited by WiccanKrista