Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Pouring water IV.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
30 replies to this topic

#11 Incognitum

Incognitum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 07:52 PM

If the bowls have measuring marks then we don't need to do anything gexcept fill the 9 liter container up to where is says 6 liters. About the post that mentions not pouring the water on the floor, why would it suddenly become unusable? He never said it was going onto the floor, he could have anouther caontainer that he can pour it into. But, since he doesn't know the container's volume, he can't use it fore measuring. In cooking, can't you measure some of the water at a time if you need a lot and put that measured water into a bowl of unknown volume?

No, another vessel is prohibited by the language of the question "using only a 4 liter bowl and a 9 liter bowl."

However, there is a deeper problem with this proposed solution, I'm surprised no one else has picked up on...

What about filling up 4 liter, 6 times, and every time pouring it into the 9 liter?
That way 6 liters will spill out.

Correct me if I'm misunderstanding something, but (4x6)-9=15. So you've correctly "measured" 15 liters onto the floor, not 6. To get 6 liters to spill you must put three volumes of 4 liters into the 9, then empty the 9, rinse and repeat, but how do you distinguish between the 6 you are spilling on purpose and the 9 you are dumping out of necessity?

#12 vr4z06gt

vr4z06gt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 09:37 PM

im supprised no one else has thought of this, and its much much simpler add two 9quarts to a bowl then remove 3x the 4 quart measurement netting 6 quarts.

#13 Laurie in alaska

Laurie in alaska

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 08:28 AM

I don't think I've seen the solution I came up with:

fill the 4 liter and pour it into the 9
Repeat the above, leaving 8 liters in the 9 container.
Fill the 4 liter again and top off the 9, which subtracts 1 liter from the 4, leaving exactly 3. Pour this 3 into the 6.
Empty the 9 liter and repeat the process (3 x 2=6)

No messy (mental) overpours.

Laurie

#14 Martini

Martini

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 04:50 PM

Pour this 3 into the 6.

What 6?

#15 Laurie in alaska

Laurie in alaska

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 06:20 PM

Oh good grief!
I read the puzzle wrong?!
I'll sit with a dunce cap in the corner...

#16 matt.lang

matt.lang

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 03:33 AM

You would fill up the 4 container and pour it into the 9 container. You would do this twice.
That makes 8 in the 9 container.
Then fill up the 4 container again and pour it into the 9 container.
That leaves 3 in the 4 container.
You pour out the contents of the 9 container and fill it with the 3 from the 4 contaier.
That leaves 3 in the 9 container.
Then you fill up the 4 container again an pour it into the 9 container.
That makes 7 in the 9 container.
You then fill up the four container and pour it into the 9 container.
That leaves 2 in the 4 container.
You then pour the contents of the 4 container into the emptied 9 container.
That makes 2 in the 9 container.
Then fill up the 4 container and pour it into the 9 container.

That makes 6 in the 9 container.

thats exactly how i did it, too

#17 BoilingOil

BoilingOil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 05:19 AM

I was blowing Lauries solution away... Then found out, somebody had already taken care of it... Sorry for the unnecessary post...

BoilingOil

#18 BoilingOil

BoilingOil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 05:30 AM

What about filling up 4 liter, 6 times, and every time pouring it into the 9 liter?
That way 6 liters will spill out.

Correct me if I'm misunderstanding something, but (4x6)-9=15. So you've correctly "measured" 15 liters onto the floor, not 6. To get 6 liters to spill you must put three volumes of 4 liters into the 9, then empty the 9, rinse and repeat, but how do you distinguish between the 6 you are spilling on purpose and the 9 you are dumping out of necessity?

I see what sql_er is gettng at... He means exactly what you're actually describing: he first makes three quarts spill by pouring the 4 over in the 9 completely three times. Then he discards the contents of the 9 and does the same again. That gives 6 quarts spilled which he gives as the solution.

The reason why this is REALLY flawed is: there is nothing to capture the spilled water in, since there are ONLY the 4 and 9 quart bowls.

PouringWater

#19 BoilingOil

BoilingOil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 05:33 AM

im supprised no one else has thought of this, and its much much simpler add two 9quarts to a bowl then remove 3x the 4 quart measurement netting 6 quarts.

Which bowl were you going to use to put the 18 quarts in in the first place? You have ONLY the 4 quart and 9 quart bowls, nothing else.

Sorry, flawed.

BoilingOil.

#20 HARSHVARDHAN

HARSHVARDHAN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 11:32 AM

take 9 lit
take out 4 lit
add 9 lit
take out 4 lit 2 times