Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Honestants and Swindlecants I.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
39 replies to this topic

#11 slmo

slmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 09:01 PM

I agree: A=ambiguous B=swindlecant C=Honestant (I hope)

#12 AlphaSleuth

AlphaSleuth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 05:27 PM

Neat puzzle! I figured that A will never say 'Swindlecant', so B is lying and C is truthful.

#13 namele

namele

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:54 AM

this is really confusing...

if A says he's an honestant then you still wouldn't know who he is. but if he said he was a swindlecant then he would be a lieing honestant and thats impossible. So A must be a swindlecant.

A can't say he's a swindlecant. B is a swindlecant and C is a Honestant.

ugh....my brain hurts.

#14 Crystal_619

Crystal_619

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 09:08 PM

B is definately a swindlcant b/c A cannot say he is a Swindlecant.
Which means if B is a Swindlecant, C must be a Honestant b/c he must be truthful that B is lying.
However, we still do not know what A is. We do not know what A said, although, he must always say Honestant so you can not figure it out by that. Also, there is no way to figure out by B or C's comments what he is.

#15 rage

rage

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 09:18 AM

The other way to look at this.

If C was a Swindlecast, he/she would say 'Believe B, He is lying'. Therefore he must be Honestant, which means B is a swindlecant. As for A its not clear (as already mentioned).

I know you can argue that C's statement is sort of an order and not an expression, and the same logic of Truth and False does not apply. But comments welcome.

#16 sweetnsmart

sweetnsmart

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 12:53 PM

According 2 my logic -

A- honestant B-swindlecant C- Honestcant

#17 soldier3001

soldier3001

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 10:18 PM

There is no way to tell whether A is a Swindlecant or an Honestant. Regardless, in the scenario proposed, the answer to the question that was asked him would ALWAYS be that one is an Honestant because if he was than he would say so, if he is not, than he would lie and say that he is. For B to say that he is a Swindlecant, he must be a Swindlecant because we know what A's answer was. C must be telling the truth than by saying that B is a liar. So C must be an Honestant.
A: who knows
B: Swindlecant
C: Honestant

#18 Angel 1

Angel 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 04:27 PM

B is a Swindlecant and C is an Honestant. If A was a Swindlecant he would have said he was a Honestant and if B was a Honestant he would have correctly reported that A said he was an Honestant. But B said A said he was a Swindlecant and a Swindlecant never would have admitted that thus B is lying and is a Swindlecant and C said that B was lying so C is an Honestant.

That sounds logical to me and hopefully I explained it in a way that it is logical to others too.

#19 CR26

CR26

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 08:22 PM

Honestants and Swindlecants I. - Back to the Logic Problems
These are typical logic problems which can be solved by using classic logic operations.
There are two kinds of people on a mysterious island. There are so-called Honestants who speak always the truth, and the others are Swindlecants who always lie.
Three fellows (A, B and C) are having a quarrel at the market. A gringo goes by and asks the A fellow: "Are you an Honestant or a Swindlecant?" The answer is incomprehensible so the gringo asks B: "What did A say?" B answers: "A said that he is a Swindlecant." And to that says the fellow C: "Do not believe B, he is lying!" Who is B and C?

Spoiler for Solution

This is a simple one of most, giving C the title of being an Honestant would make B a Swindlecant, and A an Honestant, since B said A was a Swindlecant, and it was a lie according to C, A must have been an Honetant

B said A was a Swindlecant, but C said that B was lying. C was an honestant according to the solution, then B was a Swindlecant, making A an honestant

#20 sunshipballoons

sunshipballoons

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 07:08 PM

B said A was a Swindlecant, but C said that B was lying. C was an honestant according to the solution, then B was a Swindlecant, making A an honestant

B did not say that A is a Swindlecant. B said that A said, "I am a Swindlecant." B was not saying what A was, only what A said A was. That is why the people who say A is an Honestant are wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users