Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Honestants and Swindlecants III.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
45 replies to this topic

#31 coco12

coco12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 04:06 AM

The question would be "what would the other doorman say?"
Here's why: lets say you have doorman A and doorman B.
Now lets say that doorman A lies while doorman B tells the truth.
Finally lets say that the 1st door is the correct door to pic.
If you ask doorman A what doorman B would say, doorman A would sat the 2nd door because he is a lier. If you ask doorman B what doorman A would say, doorman B would also say the 2nd door. So, you take whichever door the doorman says not to take.
If that makes sense to anyone, cuz I'm kind of lost. :wacko:

#32 Jackie Chan

Jackie Chan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 07:55 PM

Would it be fair for this riddle for me to ask, "What is one plus one, AND which door is the door to freedom?"

Technically, it's still one question. I would find out whether the guard is a truth-teller or not, and I choose the correct door.

#33 Oxobeppo

Oxobeppo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 06:32 PM

Ask either guard while pointing to the other guard "will he tell me this door leads to freedom" If the answer is "No", the door leads to freedom. If the answer is "Yes" the door leads to the scaffold.

#34 hacker7x

hacker7x

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 10:02 PM

The complicated question doesn't work.

Honestants and Swindlecants III. - Back to the Logic Problems
Our gringo displeased the sovereign with his intrusive questions and was condemned to death. But there was also a chance to save himself by solving the following logic problem. The gringo was shown two doors - one leading to a scaffold and the second one to freedom (both doors were the same) and only the door guards knew what was behind the doors. The sovereign let the gringo put one question to one guard. And because the sovereign was an honest man he warned that exactly one guard is a Swindlecant.
What question can save the gringo's life?

Spoiler for Solution

In response to the complicated question:
The Swindlecant could say "Well, I would say 'fine weather we're having today'." and this would be a lie. However, if you rephrase so he can only choose from two answers, it would work. "Which door would you indicate if I asked you ...?"
Careful, if this were real, your fate would have been left to chance.

Ooh! I just noticed that the phrasing of the inderect question would only have a 50/50 shot of working for the same reason. (the honestant would definitely tell you what the swindlecant's lie would be. but the swindlecant could tell you "He would say 'Fizzle fazzle'" and still be lying.

#35 Scratch11

Scratch11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 01:08 AM

Would it be fair for this riddle for me to ask, "What is one plus one, AND which door is the door to freedom?"

Technically, it's still one question. I would find out whether the guard is a truth-teller or not, and I choose the correct door.

No, technically that is 2 questions in one sentence. You are allowed one question.

#36 rsaylors

rsaylors

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 08:48 AM

1.) Who said there are only 2 guards
2.) who said you can only ask 1 guard? one question yes, one guard asked, says who?

if there are a plethora of guards then it is a simple matter of taking a majority vote.

if there is only one guard, which we know to be a liar, we also have solved it, as we know he'll simply lie.

a conjunction question is in order given x guards:
"to guard A:
if the other guard is a truth-teller what door would he want to go through
otherwise if the other guard is a liar what door would he SAY he would want to go through?"

we are not actually setting up multiple questions, simply setting up preconditions for response.

#37 Ionno

Ionno

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 12:39 AM

The trick questions: Is an honestate standing at the door of freedom

If the freedom door was behind a honestat
1. If your asking an honestat that question he would say Yes.
But if you were asking a swindelett he would say No

If the freedom door was behind an Swindellete
1. if your asking an honestate he would say no
2. If your asking a swindellet he would say Yes

Im confused, if you have no idea who is standing behind each door , and you ask that questions
For whatever answer you have, you'll still have the two options.

#38 Martini

Martini

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 04:50 AM

The trick questions: Is an honestate standing at the door of freedom

If the freedom door was behind a honestat
1. If your asking an honestat that question he would say Yes.
But if you were asking a swindelett he would say No

If the freedom door was behind an Swindellete
1. if your asking an honestate he would say no
2. If your asking a swindellet he would say Yes

Im confused, if you have no idea who is standing behind each door , and you ask that questions
For whatever answer you have, you'll still have the two options.

Yup. You still have two options, but there is enough information given with a Yes or No answer to make the right one.
Spoiler for Solution

#39 Deduction_Wizard

Deduction_Wizard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 06:11 AM

My answer is perfect. Here it is:

"If you are a guard, then which door leads to freedom, but if you are NOT a guard, then which door leads to the scaffold?"

This took about two minutes, but that is my answer and, by the rules of the English language, it IS "one question".

#40 zachariah2

zachariah2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 01:13 AM

the question you ask is: 'Which door would the OTHER GUARD TELL ME IS THE DOOR TO FREEDOM?' Whatever the answer is, take the OPPOSITE door.

1. If you asked the honestant, he's going to tell you the truth, which in that case would be that the swindlecant would lead you to the door to the scaffold (which would be the swindlecant lying about which door leads to freedom) so you pick the opposite door.

2. If you asked the swindlecant, he's going to lie by indicating the door that leads to the scaffold (since the honestant would point you to the door that leads to freedom) so once again you pick the opposite door.

I hope that wasn't too convoluted an explanation...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users